News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rubio and Roberston on Young Earth

Started by garbon, December 04, 2012, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

They don't believe you, Spiess. If it wasn't an issue then no one would vote republican. Why would you side with the crazy religious people?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
I guess I'm saying that few people outside of small circles like Languish give a shit.
As long as you keep pandering to the religious morons, people will see you as the party of religious morons. That hurts the party now, and the effect will only increase with time.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 12:07:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2012, 11:54:23 AM
Which is exactly why Republicans have lost two Presidential elections in the row despite a lackluster incumbent.

It's funny how every time it seems as if they finally got it right and understood that they can't win BECAUSE they are in thrall to the religious right, they fall back to their old habits.

Do you think that cost the GOP the election either in 2008 or 2012?

I think that some conservative (informed by religion) stances on social issues have been problematic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 12:23:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 12:07:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2012, 11:54:23 AM
Which is exactly why Republicans have lost two Presidential elections in the row despite a lackluster incumbent.

It's funny how every time it seems as if they finally got it right and understood that they can't win BECAUSE they are in thrall to the religious right, they fall back to their old habits.

Do you think that cost the GOP the election either in 2008 or 2012?

I think that some conservative (informed by religion) stances on social issues have been problematic.

Which ones, and do you think they cost the GOP either election?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

It seems to be widely acknoledged that extreme stances on abortion/rape lost meant that the GOP lost several senate seats.

As far as presidential elections are concerned, its a branding issue. You can't point to a single issue and say the GOP lost the elections because of that but it all adds to a serious issue problem. The Tories had the same problem a few years ago and made a concerted attempt to, as they called it "detoxify" the brand.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 12:29:41 PMWhich ones, and do you think they cost the GOP either election?

Whore pills?

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on December 04, 2012, 12:33:45 PM
It seems to be widely acknoledged that extreme stances on abortion/rape lost meant that the GOP lost several senate seats.

Two seats.  Did not cost the GOP the Senate.  But both were stupid mistakes, I'll agree.

QuoteAs far as presidential elections are concerned, its a branding issue. You can't point to a single issue and say the GOP lost the elections because of that but it all adds to a serious issue problem.

Hmm.

QuoteThe Tories had the same problem a few years ago and made a concerted attempt to, as they called it "detoxify" the brand.

From my perspective, they simply became less conservative.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 12:29:41 PM
Which ones, and do you think they cost the GOP either election?

I am not sure if they specifically cost the GOP this election but the primary negative impact is the way good candidates get swept out in the Primaries to make way for crazies.  Now granted that happens in both parties but it seems to be a bigger problem in the GOP these days.  Particularly when those guys start talking about legitimate rape or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 12:49:07 PM
From my perspective, they simply became less conservative.

From their perspective they stopped losing elections.

Jacob

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 10:22:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2012, 10:17:31 AM
QuoteWhether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.
:yeahright:
It's a throwaway answer to an irrelevant question.
Not an irrelevant question.  The point of the question is to force Rubio to announce a side, which it did.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

It's funny that Robertson's thing is even news. Even the vast majority of hardcore religious fundies don't believe the young earth crap.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on December 04, 2012, 10:06:44 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal was over Rubio's answer.

The problem is that he is willing to pander to special interests by giving credit to pseudoscience and conspiracy theory. Is this the kind of man you want with the nuclear trigger?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.