New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2012, 08:57:20 PM
Quote from: Scipio on November 19, 2012, 06:39:43 PM
French-Canadian cultural reinforcement combines the worst aspects of Canuckistanianism, and Frenchiness, to create a people that would rather bitch and wave their cigarettes at each other than make a living.

Aren't you from Mississippi or some other shithole?  :lol:

Yeah, he's been doing this more and more lately and it is like wtf? don't you remember you are from a part of America that's one of our greatest embarrassments?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2012, 08:52:38 PM
I love qc threads.

Seeing all the anglos froth at the mouth always makes for a good show  :lol:
the sad part is that none seem to get the issue here, even if it's just about overzealous bureaucrats.

I gave up online-arguing about qc a long time ago. Les têtes carrées, ca reste des têtes carrées. *shrug*

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 08:58:27 PM
French-Canadian cultural reinforcement combines the worst aspects of Canuckistanianism, and Frenchiness, to create a people that would rather bitch and wave their cigarettes at each other than make a living.

Yeah, he's been doing this more and more lately and it is like wtf? don't you remember you are from a part of America that's one of our greatest embarrassments?

High-five. We agree about something!  ;)

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2012, 09:00:55 PM
High-five. We agree about something!  ;)

Which if that has happened - you know we must be right! :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 08:57:22 PM
Sorry but as much as we Americans don't get to conveniently separate ourselves from our politicians - you don't either. ;)
There's 2 issues here.
The main issue is obviously the overzealous bureaucrats.

The other one is not about who will get confused or not.  It's about cosmetics.  It's about culture, it's about what you present to the world.  Like a city ruling on the size of a sign, on what can go on a sign.  Some people are afraid that seeing english language signs everywhere, people eventually get the idea that Quebec is an english province, just like the rest of the country.

It's never been about who would get "confused" by entering a place with an english only trademark.  I thought it would be obvious by now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I don't think it is about confusion. As to the rest of that, I'm sorry but that doesn't really make sense to me. I don't know what it is to be an English province coming from places where yes English is the norm but we make many allowances for other languages. I don't really get what would be so bad if people were to choose whatever language they felt like.

Scipio

And so I am therefore an authority on shitholes, which Quebec is quick on the way to becoming.  This is just as dumb as America passing laws requiring everything be in English.  Why not Esperanto?  Why not central planning for everything?  That's the Canucki way, and golly gee, among a nation that is overwhelming white and middle class, it works.  Just like in Sweden.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 08:57:22 PM
Sorry but as much as we Americans don't get to conveniently separate ourselves from our politicians - you don't either. ;)
There's 2 issues here.

The other one is not about who will get confused or not.  It's about cosmetics.  It's about culture, it's about what you present to the world.  Like a city ruling on the size of a sign, on what can go on a sign.  Some people are afraid that seeing english language signs everywhere, people eventually get the idea that Quebec is an english province, just like the rest of the country.

It's never been about who would get "confused" by entering a place with an english only trademark.  I thought it would be obvious by now.

SO the idea is that if there is a english sounding name, have them throw some other stuff up there in French so that there is more French on the sign for its own sake.

And this is NOT about "French-Canadian cultural reinforcement"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
There's 2 issues here.

But this is precisely why I am frothing at the mouth over this.  It would be one thing if Walmart put up big signs on their stores that readw Walmart Plumbing Supply and Beauty Salon (although I still think the signage law is stupid--if a company wants to lose French speaking business, let 'em) , but Walmart is a company name.  It's as much of an English word as Sony or Samsung or Yoplait is.

Grey Fox

Walmart isn't really the problem, it's just rightfully take offense. The real culprit for this is Best Buy/Futureshop
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2012, 09:10:49 PM
I don't think it is about confusion. As to the rest of that, I'm sorry but that doesn't really make sense to me. I don't know what it is to be an English province coming from places where yes English is the norm but we make many allowances for other languages. I don't really get what would be so bad if people were to choose whatever language they felt like.
Extreme cases: Quebec lose a distinctive advantage, architecture looks just like Charlottetown, Ottawa or Boston.
Extreme cases: Immigrant get the idea that French is irrelevant, they can easily get by with english only.  Why bother learning french?
Extreme cases: with immigrants assimilating ot the english majority, Quebec loses it's status as a French province, english quebecers get even more radical in their demands.

This is why there are language laws, this is why immigrants have to send their kids to french school, this is why corporations have to have french signs, offer french services to their clientele and offer a french work place to their employees.

Now, will this extreme I told you about become the reality because Walmart is "Walmart"?  No.  But some morons think so.  They should be wondering why none of our companies can grow big enough to rival these, why our electronic stores seems to fail one after the other, but I guess it's more important to harass the successful ones.  I don't care about Walmart, I hate shopping there, just like I hated Zellers in its time.  I'm even beginning to dislike FutureShop since they became BestBuy.  It seems their salespeople are even more clueless than when they first opened their stores (the goold old joke about a "SCSI mouse" ;) ).

Anyway, if I were paranoid, I'd say this is a PQ move to distract attention from the upcoming budget.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

So you're saying you'd be cool with it if everybody else forced, say, Rossy locations outside of Quebec to change their name to "That French Store Rossy."
Experience bij!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Of your extreme cases:

1) How does that happen? I've never been to your other two examples, so I'm not sure if they would match Boston. Meanwhile, my last trip to the North End of Boston (October), I noted how similar (though Italian) it looked to Vieux-Quebec.
2) So what? If French is irrelevant to live there (as it often is in Montreal) what's the harm? They'll quickly be dissuaded when they head out of cities and encounter French speaking citizens / if not, then again what's the harm if people speak the language that they want?
3) Again, what's the problem? I'm not sure what these demands would be though feel free to give me 19th and early 20th century examples. :P

Sheilbh

...Even I think this may be a tad excessive :weep:

Edit:  Although, fuck it, just ban use of English :w00t: :frog:
Let's bomb Russia!