New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 04:38:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
Excelpt that "Wal" is short for Walton, the company's founder, not a misspelling of "wall". :p

I KNOW

:lol:

Always annoying when a fellow assumes one has an IQ of 50  :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2012, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 19, 2012, 04:29:01 PM
"I say the compromise of using the trademark + a french description under it is a pretty good one.

Like The Brick does. In Quebec it's Brick : Magasin de Meuble.

For God's sake, why make it obligatory?  Are hundreds of Quebeckers wandering into Walmarts and Costcos thinking their movie theaters or night clubs?  :huh:

Because the mandate of the Office is to be a pain the ass to everyone, especially the English speakers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

French-Canadian cultural reinforcement combines the worst aspects of Canuckistanianism, and Frenchiness, to create a people that would rather bitch and wave their cigarettes at each other than make a living.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 19, 2012, 04:46:44 PM
Are French-Canadians that god damn dumb that they need every company to have a description of what they are?  Are they so insulated and isolated from reality and the global economy due to their obsession with maintaining a cultural and linguistic heritage from overlords who possessed their territory for less than half of their history that they have totally lost touch?  Wow.
Yes, French-speakers are less than the rest of us.  Unfortunately, they're too craven to separate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Attacking our precious Walmart?  That's like setting our flag on fire.  THIS WILL NOT STAND. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2012, 07:44:29 PM
Yes, French-speakers are less than the rest of us.  Unfortunately, they're too craven to separate.

Who rates lower in your view? French-speakers or Russian-speakers?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2012, 08:21:14 PM

Who rates lower in your view? French-speakers or Russian-speakers?
The Russians, obviously.  Sure, the French are inferior next to the Anglosphere, but they're still a part of the West.  Also, the French had dreadnoughts (although only two of them were any good).
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 19, 2012, 04:46:44 PM
Are French-Canadians that god damn dumb that they need every company to have a description of what they are?
That is not the point.

QuoteAre they so insulated and isolated from reality and the global economy due to their obsession with maintaining a cultural and linguistic heritage from overlords who possessed their territory for less than half of their history that they have totally lost touch?  Wow.
Some people would really like it to be true, the same people who agree with Canada's idea of a cultural firewall, the same people (english&french) who envy China's control of the media, but again, that is not the point.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

I love qc threads.

Seeing all the anglos froth at the mouth always makes for a good show  :lol:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 04:50:31 PM
Plus it establishes that their signs have to be changed at the whim of a bureaucrat.
Which is the core of the debate here.  Not that english canadian media will report it that way of course.
It's not unusual for the citizens to go to court against various government office because bureaucrats have a creative way of interpreting the laws.  It's not unusual for the government, the elected body representing us, to sit on the fence and claim "independance" when it suits them.

Judgement against the government have been numerous.  Wether it be the creative interpretation of the construction laws by the Commission de la Construction du Québec or the creative interpretation of what your revenues should be by Revenu Québec, corporations and citizens go to court every day against their government to have their rigths respected.  It's not like Walmart is some unique case just because it's about a trademark.  But it's damn sexier than "Citizen sues Revenu Québec for harassment".

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Neil perfectly embodies Canada's spirit about their minorities  :)
But he'll be the first one to bitch once the US start annexing his provinces one by one.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2012, 08:52:38 PM
I love qc threads.

the sad part is that none seem to get the issue here, even if it's just about overzealous bureaucrats.

Zoupa

Quote from: Scipio on November 19, 2012, 06:39:43 PM
French-Canadian cultural reinforcement combines the worst aspects of Canuckistanianism, and Frenchiness, to create a people that would rather bitch and wave their cigarettes at each other than make a living.

Aren't you from Mississippi or some other shithole?  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2012, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 19, 2012, 08:52:38 PM
I love qc threads.

the sad part is that none seem to get the issue here, even if it's just about overzealous bureaucrats.

Sorry but as much as we Americans don't get to conveniently separate ourselves from our politicians - you don't either. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.