New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on November 23, 2012, 10:12:04 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 10:04:58 AMShe's not a citizen because she's The Queen.  She *is* the state.
She is not an absolute monarch, so she is merely the head of state, not the state. "The Crown" may be a synonym for the state, but the person itself isn't.

Well she is and she isn't.

I mean, I'm a government lawyer.  Criminal prosecutions are properly styled as Her Majesty The Queen v. Joe Criminal.  It's not Canada v. Joe Criminal.  She may not be an absolute monarch, but she does embody The State.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It's the word that is wrong BB. She's the Sovereign, not the state. Potato, Potato really.

Funningly enough, the Queen is an EU citizen.

QuoteAs a national of the United Kingdom, The Queen is a citizen of the European Union, but that in no way affects her prerogatives and responsibilities as the Sovereign.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Queenandthelaw/HowUKandEUlawaffectTheQueen.aspx
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 10:15:14 AMWell she is and she isn't.

I mean, I'm a government lawyer.  Criminal prosecutions are properly styled as Her Majesty The Queen v. Joe Criminal.  It's not Canada v. Joe Criminal.  She may not be an absolute monarch, but she does embody The State.
Well, over here, judgments are made in the name of the people, but that doesn't mean none of us is a citizen.  :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 22, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
Btw Malthus & co, racist and backwards quebecers just elected a jewish anglophone as mayor of Montreal.

I'm sure this is widely reported in your media, yes?

I'd already posted it in this thread, dumb head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2012, 06:22:43 AM
I don't really get Nationalism.  I have a difficult time seeing why one group should be exalted above others due to the actions of their ancestors several hundred years ago.
those american flags everywhere... it must make you sick, surely?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I had to show my Quebecoise coworker the bit in Canadian Bacon with Dan Akroyd because she didn't know the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5l0PD80u9k
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on November 23, 2012, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 23, 2012, 03:42:59 AM
The Queen does not have a passport as she is not a citizen of any country :

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Queen%20and%20Commonwealth%20Visits/Queenandpassport.aspx
Why would she not be a citizen of Britain, Canada, Australia etc.?

It is the way those countries are governed, her representation in Parliament is as the monarch, it would be unfair for her to have the vote as well. It is the same with the UK House of Lords, their representation in Parliament is their vote in the Lords, so they are not allowed to vote in General Elections. All these people do get to vote in EU elections, local elections and so on though.

dps

The "foreign queen" stuff makes me think of Americans who insist that Barak Obama is Kenyan.

viper37

Quote from: dps on November 23, 2012, 04:30:44 PM
The "foreign queen" stuff makes me think of Americans who insist that Barak Obama is Kenyan.
You can't have a President not born in the US, can't you now?  Do you think it's silly?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 04:46:58 PM
You can't have a President not born in the US, can't you now?  Do you think it's silly?

A lot of people think that it's a silly requirement that the President be a "natural-born" citizen.  But beyond that, "natural-born" as it is generally interpreted would include children born outside of the US to parents who are American citizens, so yes we can have a President who wasn't born here.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 04:46:58 PM

Actually you can.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 01:54:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2012, 06:22:43 AM
I don't really get Nationalism.  I have a difficult time seeing why one group should be exalted above others due to the actions of their ancestors several hundred years ago.
those american flags everywhere... it must make you sick, surely?

And this indicates that one group of citizens are more worthy then another?  I'm not seeing it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 23, 2012, 03:42:59 AM
The Queen does not have a passport as she is not a citizen of any country :

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Queen%20and%20Commonwealth%20Visits/Queenandpassport.aspx

Wonder if a border guard who really doesn't care about his continued employment has ever caused trouble for her.
Well, I don't wonder, I know nothing so stupid has ever happened, but it would be amusing.
Wonder if she would then show a £20 as her proof of ID.
██████
██████
██████