New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 02:33:53 PM
Clown is an elected position? I thought Americans were weird.
It's Canada.  We have a foreigh Queen as head of State and an appointed representative to supervise our democracy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 02:39:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 02:30:59 PM
He sounds like a good guy. I wish we could appoint him Mayor of Toronto, in place of our current clown.  :lol:
This one as a job for the foreseeable future.  However, Montreal and Laval ex-mayors are available, and might be available on the cheap.

Yeah, but going to the bus station washroom with a bag full of unmarked, non-sequential bills is *such* an awkward way to pay one's mayor.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 02:40:06 PM
It's Canada.  We have a foreigh Queen as head of State and an appointed representative to supervise our democracy.

You are just piss off because when the LT-Gov spent 700k none of it came your way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2012, 02:55:00 PM
You are just piss off because when the LT-Gov spent 700k none of it came your way.
Looking at th CIEC, it seems I'm really doing something wrong as I can't offer hundreds of thousands of dollars to corrupt bureaucrats :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

If she's the queen is she really foreign?  How does that work exactly?  Does she have citizenship or what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 03:57:32 PM

If she's the queen is she really foreign?  How does that work exactly?  Does she have citizenship or what?

Thought that it was pretty weel know that the British Empire has had German monarchs for nearly 3 centuries now.

Razgovory

I have German ancestry, but nobody calls me foreign.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zoupa

Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 02:27:19 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on November 22, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
Btw Malthus & co, racist and backwards quebecers just elected a jewish anglophone as mayor of Montreal.

I'm sure this is widely reported in your media, yes?

As a matter of fact, yes. There was a big article in the Globe on it. Why do you ask?

Title: "Montreal's New Mayor Defies Stereotyping of Quebec Politics".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/editorials/montreals-new-mayor-defies-stereotyping-of-quebec-politics/article5462459/

Article mentioned that he was not actually "elected" by the electorate but was rather appointed by his fellow councellors as an interim mayor for a year to replace the guy who resigned over corruption allegations, and he's said he will not actually run for election.

But nonetheless.

I'm looking more for an op-ed Jan Wong style. Like maybe he got selected so we could murder him easier.

viper37

She does not have a Canadian passport, she is not a Canadian citizen.

viper37

Quote from: dps on November 22, 2012, 06:12:37 PM
Thought that it was pretty weel know that the British Empire has had German monarchs for nearly 3 centuries now.
Really?  How does that work?  They ruled over England & the United Kingdom from Berlin?

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 08:19:20 PM
She does not have a Canadian passport, she is not a Canadian citizen.

I didn't think a passport was required to be a citizen, I thought it was the other way around.  I honestly don't know how Commonwealth rules are.  If she visits does she have to get a visa or something?  I checked Wikipedia, and it states that she is in fact Canadian according to Canadian law (though it was unclear as to whether that meant she had citizenship).  Unfortunately the sources were not websites but books, and thus I couldn't verify them.  Still, it would seem that your complaint has little merit.  If she is indeed Canadian, then you aren't ruled by a foreign queen, merely one that has more then one nationality.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 08:21:28 PM
Really?  How does that work?  They ruled over England & the United Kingdom from Berlin?

The current House of Windsor was originally German.  As was the house of Hanover.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 10:03:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 08:19:20 PM
I didn't think a passport was required to be a citizen, I thought it was the other way around. 
She travels to more than one country, so she needs a passport.  Unless I am mistaken, it is not a canadian passport.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 10:05:32 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 08:21:28 PM

The current House of Windsor was originally German.  As was the house of Hanover.
I know that.  I was being sarcastic.

There's a difference between having ancestry from another country and living in another country ruling over distant subjects.
The Queen of England does not rule over Germany, or any part of it.

I figure the Queen inherited citizenship of all Commonwealth countries, due to it being the remnant of the Empire.