New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2012, 12:00:19 AM
She's your queen, deal.
I'd take Justin Trudeau as King of Canada over any foreigner, any time.  As a bonus, it would piss of Neil to no end, so it would be good :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 12:02:29 AM
She's your queen, deal.
I'd take Justin Trudeau as King of Canada over any foreigner, any time.  As a bonus, it would piss of Neil to no end, so it would be good :)
You make an intriguing proposal, i shall have to think on it :P

But really, I don't know why this bugs you so much. I mean none of the other Quebecer posters, seperatists or not, seem bothered by our head of state. She's not a foreigner, she's your queen. What passport, if any, she travels with makes no difference. My parents, should they so wish, could travel under a Portuguese passport, but they're still Canadian.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 11:58:31 PM

She travels to more than one country, so she needs a passport.  Unless I am mistaken, it is not a canadian passport.

Only if the law requires it.  Since it does not, she needs no passport.  Heads of State and Diplomats don't always require passports to move from one country to another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2012, 12:06:03 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 12:02:29 AM
She's your queen, deal.
You make an intriguing proposal, i shall have to think on it :P

But really, I don't know why this bugs you so much. I mean none of the other Quebecer posters, seperatists or not, seem bothered by our head of state. She's not a foreigner, she's your queen. What passport, if any, she travels with makes no difference. My parents, should they so wish, could travel under a Portuguese passport, but they're still Canadian.

I don't really get Nationalism.  I have a difficult time seeing why one group should be exalted above others due to the actions of their ancestors several hundred years ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Jesus is stateless even though he's king of Poland.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Dude, the seperatists want to quit Canada.  De facto, she wouldn't be our queen if we were to seperate...  Even I don't think the PQ would be moronic enough to adopt the Queen as head of State for an independant Quebec.  Chavez is a possibility, though :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 09:34:43 AM
Dude, the seperatists want to quit Canada.  De facto, she wouldn't be our queen if we were to seperate...  Even I don't think the PQ would be moronic enough to adopt the Queen as head of State for an independant Quebec.  Chavez is a possibility, though :P

How about sharing France's head of state?  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2012, 09:34:43 AM

The 1995 question would have kept The Queen has HoS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on November 23, 2012, 10:00:47 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 23, 2012, 03:42:59 AM
The Queen does not have a passport as she is not a citizen of any country :

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchAndCommonwealth/Queen%20and%20Commonwealth%20Visits/Queenandpassport.aspx
Why would she not be a citizen of Britain, Canada, Australia etc.?

Interesting link RH.

She's not a citizen because she's The Queen.  She *is* the state.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2012, 10:04:58 AMShe's not a citizen because she's The Queen.  She *is* the state.
She is not an absolute monarch, so she is merely the head of state, not the state. "The Crown" may be a synonym for the state, but the person itself isn't.