New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

A valid political idea is quite subjective, bb.

Qc separation is at its lowest poll numbers in decades and still runs around 35%. What about Alberta's?

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 21, 2012, 11:58:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 12:55:00 PM
I'm not the one starting all these threads, I just answer in it to establish the facts, away from the distorted truths.

Again though, I think by now anyone participating in these discussions has picked up at least a smattering of the history of Quebec, provided by you.  I'm not sure what values it adds to continue to repeat it - especially as it just makes it sound like you are stuck in the past and unwilling to deal in the present.

The "past" in Qc is still not so far past. Any francophone over 50 could tell you horror stories about work back then.

I've been told to "speak white", and that was in the 90s.

Well yes bigots haven't bigots haven't gone away. I've been told terrible things myself. That doesn't mean I have to take those as instructive on how the majority would act if they could truly have their way.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 01:09:18 PM
Again though, I think by now anyone participating in these discussions has picked up at least a smattering of the history of Quebec, provided by you.  I'm not sure what values it adds to continue to repeat it - especially as it just makes it sound like you are stuck in the past and unwilling to deal in the present.
because clearly people have not picked it up?

No, but what does that have to do with anything? :unsure:
Canadian media regularly portrays Quebec, and its supposed "language police" as nazis.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 09:41:22 AM
Canadian media regularly portrays Quebec, and its supposed "language police" as nazis.

No, just silly. 

viper37

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2012, 10:58:22 PM
And I'm sure any Albertan of the same age could tell you horror stories about the National Energy Program.  And from what I understand of the early 80s, they would be right.

Does that really mean that Alberta Separatism is a valid political idea?
Alberta's massive vote for the Reform/Alliance/Conservative instead of any other party that means nothing to you?

Had not the Conservative taken power in 2006, 2008 and 2011 with a clear shift in their canadian policy, going from massively pro-Ontario to massively pro-Alberta, things could have been different in regards to the seperatist movement.

And a short lived economic policiy of the 1980s wich had a moderate negative impact for a decade is very different.  Once the oil prices surged again, economic development went ahead in Alberta.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 22, 2012, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2012, 09:41:22 AM

No, just silly.

More Colonel Klink than Heinrich Himmler?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Zoupa on November 21, 2012, 11:58:49 PM

I've been told to "speak white", and that was in the 90s.

That is what happens when you copy that Snow fella.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

Btw Malthus & co, racist and backwards quebecers just elected a jewish anglophone as mayor of Montreal.

I'm sure this is widely reported in your media, yes?

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 22, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
Btw Malthus & co, racist and backwards quebecers just elected a jewish anglophone as mayor of Montreal.

As a matter of fact, yes. There was a big article in the Globe on it. Why do you ask?

Title: "Montreal's New Mayor Defies Stereotyping of Quebec Politics".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/editorials/montreals-new-mayor-defies-stereotyping-of-quebec-politics/article5462459/

Article mentioned that he was not actually "elected" by the electorate but was rather appointed by his fellow councellors as an interim mayor for a year to replace the guy who resigned over corruption allegations, and he's said he will not actually run for election.

But nonetheless.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 22, 2012, 02:20:56 PM

I wanted to confirm - I saw it in multiple news stories.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

He sounds like a good guy. I wish we could appoint him Mayor of Toronto, in place of our current clown.  :lol:

The Brain

Clown is an elected position? I thought Americans were weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2012, 02:33:53 PM
Clown is an elected position? I thought Americans were weird.

An appointed position, anyway.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 22, 2012, 02:30:59 PM
He sounds like a good guy. I wish we could appoint him Mayor of Toronto, in place of our current clown.  :lol:
This one as a job for the foreseeable future.  However, Montreal and Laval ex-mayors are available, and might be available on the cheap.