New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2012, 10:11:48 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 09:45:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 02:49:19 PM
But there you go again consulting distant history. Sure some of Vermont might see Arizona like behavior but I don't see how you can dredge up the less enlightened past and say that such would dictate how an entire country would react to in the future.
You can't understand the present without knowing history.  You can't understand someone without knowing where they came from.

While there's truth in this, at the same time, refusal to let go of the past doesn't much lead to anything good.  It lead to a century of Jim Crow laws in the US, it lead to the never-ending Palestinian/Isreali conflict, it lead to the Irish-American retards who give donations to the IRA.

Or clinging to guns and religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

While there's truth in this, at the same time, refusal to let go of the past doesn't much lead to anything good.  It lead to a century of Jim Crow laws in the US, it lead to the never-ending Palestinian/Isreali conflict, it lead to the Irish-American retards who give donations to the IRA.

There's a difference between acknowledging the past and living in it.  I thought a forum composed mainly of gamers who loved Europa Universalis would know that ;)  We like playing the general/conqueror of the past, some of us like to role play an historical or fictive figure, that doesn't mean we think we live in 1590.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 11:55:29 AM

There's a difference between acknowledging the past and living in it.  I thought a forum composed mainly of gamers who loved Europa Universalis would know that ;)  We like playing the general/conqueror of the past, some of us like to role play an historical or fictive figure, that doesn't mean we think we live in 1590.

We already know all about Quebec's past. You certainly harp on about it - every second you get. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 11:59:35 AM

We already know all about Quebec's past. You certainly harp on about it - every second you get. ;)

Be damn glad the other Quebecers don't also do it!  Unless you want to hear about colonization thru Catholics commune.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Darling, I come from groups that can cite a lot of historical oppression as well.  There are reasons I don't do so though.  For one it gets tiresome and for two its insulting to say that everyone now and in the future will act like their more ignorant/malicious ancestors. Oh and then thirdly, it isn't accurate to do that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 11:59:35 AM

I'm not the one starting all these threads, I just answer in it to establish the facts, away from the distorted truths.  You've been to Quebec twice.  Did people look like nazis to you?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 12:51:57 PM
Darling, I come from groups that can cite a lot of historical oppression as well.  There are reasons I don't do so though.  For one it gets tiresome and for two its insulting to say that everyone now and in the future will act like their more ignorant/malicious ancestors. Oh and then thirdly, it isn't accurate to do that.

True but unlike what viper conveys all of our history isn't all oppression all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 12:55:00 PM
I'm not the one starting all these threads, I just answer in it to establish the facts, away from the distorted truths.

Again though, I think by now anyone participating in these discussions has picked up at least a smattering of the history of Quebec, provided by you.  I'm not sure what values it adds to continue to repeat it - especially as it just makes it sound like you are stuck in the past and unwilling to deal in the present.

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 12:55:00 PMYou've been to Quebec twice.  Did people look like nazis to you?

No, but what does that have to do with anything? :unsure:

The Brain

Quebec doesn't want to be taken seriously, so it won't be.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 21, 2012, 01:09:18 PM

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2012, 12:55:00 PMYou've been to Quebec twice.  Did people look like nazis to you?

No, but what does that have to do with anything? :unsure:

Without the "cool" SS uniforms, can you tell if someone is a Nazi just by looking anyway?

Zoupa

I'm not the one starting all these threads, I just answer in it to establish the facts, away from the distorted truths.

Again though, I think by now anyone participating in these discussions has picked up at least a smattering of the history of Quebec, provided by you.  I'm not sure what values it adds to continue to repeat it - especially as it just makes it sound like you are stuck in the past and unwilling to deal in the present.

The "past" in Qc is still not so far past. Any francophone over 50 could tell you horror stories about work back then.

I've been told to "speak white", and that was in the 90s.

Razgovory

I've been told to stop making an ass of my myself, and that was within this last decade!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 21, 2012, 11:58:49 PM

The "past" in Qc is still not so far past. Any francophone over 50 could tell you horror stories about work back then.

I've been told to "speak white", and that was in the 90s.

And I'm sure any Albertan of the same age could tell you horror stories about the National Energy Program.  And from what I understand of the early 80s, they would be right.

Does that really mean that Alberta Separatism is a valid political idea?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.