News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Pan Syndrome and Sexual Economics

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 09, 2012, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2012, 11:50:43 PM
CC already knew that Valmy wasn't saying he didn't think about sex.

Well he hid it well because he said I was saying exactly that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2012, 02:26:09 AM

That's how you pull off a troll, right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2012, 09:26:02 AM

That's who you pull off a troll, right?

I don't understand anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2012, 12:03:32 AM
Horrifying how backwards things were back in the day.
These days you don't even agree to go out with a girl till you've had sex, back in the day you had to marry them without a test drive. brr.

I'd suggest that how you do things (or see others around you do things) don't accurately reflect what people in general do.  I'd even generalize that to most scenarios - not just dating. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on November 10, 2012, 09:27:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2012, 09:26:02 AM

That's who you pull off a troll, right?

I don't understand anymore.

I've fixed it for you. :hug:

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2012, 09:27:17 AM
These days you don't even agree to go out with a girl till you've had sex, back in the day you had to marry them without a test drive. brr.

I'd suggest that how you do things (or see others around you do things) don't accurately reflect what people in general do.  I'd even generalize that to most scenarios - not just dating. ;)
No sex before marriage people are very much in the minority in Europe and Japan at least.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

If you took this article seriously, you must think that poor people didn't have sex before the 21st century. Ridicoulous

Also: the "princess rides the stable boy" (then marries the prince) is the most cliched common romantic story since eternity.

And the examples could be continued. It's bollocks.

The Larch

Quote from: Legbiter on November 09, 2012, 06:53:35 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2012, 06:44:35 PM
I also realized afterwards that this is a contribution to a symposium, not a full blown paper, so the level of scrutiny goes down a couple of notches. It kinda improved a lot by the end, but some sections of the middle seem quite prejudiced against women for me.

What did you find to be particularly prejudiced against women? What did you like?

IMO it severely underrates women's contribution to society, it paints them with a huge brush claming that they're little more than parasitic freeriders, which again IMO is outstandingly wrong. My hunch is that they're trying to be controversial on purpose, though.

I liked the description of sexual and gender dynamics in terms of supply and demand, what they call sexual economics, which seems quite thought provoking.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2012, 12:30:01 PM
I liked the description of sexual and gender dynamics in terms of supply and demand, what they call sexual economics, which seems quite thought provoking.

Nothing we didn't already figure out for ourselves in junior high school.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2012, 11:42:39 AM
If you took this article seriously, you must think that poor people didn't have sex before the 21st century. Ridicoulous

Also: the "princess rides the stable boy" (then marries the prince) is the most cliched common romantic story since eternity.

Do all Hungarians confuse fairy tales with sociology?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2012, 02:17:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 10, 2012, 11:42:39 AM

Do all Hungarians confuse fairy tales with sociology?

Probabaly.  It is also interesting to note those for whome this article hits close to home.

Razgovory

I don't work or have much sex, so it ain't me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2012, 11:36:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2012, 09:27:17 AM

No sex before marriage people are very much in the minority in Europe and Japan at least.

Which says nothing in regards to must have sex before date as you posit it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on November 09, 2012, 10:59:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 09:59:33 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 06:04:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 05:53:08 PM
yeah, but I am not sure what this analysis has to do with that

Reducing it all about trying to get sex.  It seems like I had alot more crap going on with me when I was struggling to grow up besides that.

are you guys really that dense or really that inept with women? 

Of course there is a lot going on.  But if anyone here didnt have a huge sex drive when they were in their late teens early 20s they were outliers.  Pretty simple point.
If you were not thinking about sex as a young man you were indeed an outlier.

I think Valmy's point was that he was thinking about other things, too, not that he wasn't thinking about sex.

And I tend to agree with him.  Sure, when I was in school, I wanted to be able to afford a cool car and stuff, and partly that was because a cool car helps you get chicks, but, still, I wanted the cool car and other cool stuff for its value aside from being a chick magnet.

Martinus

I would actually say that money matters much more today than, say, 200 years ago, when it comes to getting a good looking partner.

At least in a class society, poor guys could hope to marry a pretty girl within their own class. In a classless society, there is no stigma for a rich upper class guy to marry a poor lower class (but pretty) girl so money matters even more