News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Peter Pan Syndrome and Sexual Economics

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 09, 2012, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2012, 02:37:12 AM
Incidentally, I find it funny that it's mainly the unattractive guys with stable jobs and younger wives here that are so vehemently arguing that women are not attracted to hot guys.  :lol:

Even if the only woman who posted so far disagreed.

Wait there is somebody arguing that people are not attracted to hot people?

Though women have often claimed up and down that looks are not that important to them, including one on this board.  I never really bought it frankly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2012, 02:51:43 AM
Valmy has a younger wife?  :huh:

So you think I am unattractive Tamas? :grr:  My wife is basically my age, I wanted somebody around my age.

But obviously Marty was not referring to me. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

All snarkiness aside, I think a lot of experienced women realize that classic "Alpha" type men are often assholes with severe personality issues, and choose different men in their second (or third or fourth) try.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2012, 04:15:47 AM
All snarkiness aside, I think a lot of experienced women realize that classic "Alpha" type men are often assholes with severe personality issues, and choose different men in their second (or third or fourth) try.

See, this is why I am saying that theories like that are worthless because they are too generalized.
I could take what you wrote, and remark that women switch from craving "alpha" males to settling with plain providers not when they have enough of being abused, but when they feel they are nearing the end of their prime.

Brazen

A further thought on the matter is that women's preference may turn towards more physically fit individuals as we reach our middle years, as the same noodle-armed intellectuals that read us poetry in our teens might not survive the first heart attack or bout of pneumonia.

Richard Hakluyt

The wealth of the society in question is surely of importance. In wealthy Western countries the majority of men can be effective economic providers, as can the majority of women. Yes, there are people out there who want more, but many people just want "enough".

Martinus

Incidentally, I think gay men (or perhaps equally well gay women but that's the area I know nothing about) are perhaps a better group to study these tendencies as you do not have to provide for actual (or imagined) gender differences...

And despite the lack of such differences, age difference is more frequent than not, with all the sugar daddy/cougar/boy toy/trophy wife mechanics in place.

So perhaps, ultimately, the conclusion is that gender roles started to disappear and the dynamics now works both ways when it comes to heterosexual couples and not just with men being always "providers".

dps

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2012, 05:06:56 AM
Incidentally, I think gay men (or perhaps equally well gay women but that's the area I know nothing about) are perhaps a better group to study these tendencies as you do not have to provide for actual (or imagined) gender differences...

And despite the lack of such differences, age difference is more frequent than not, with all the sugar daddy/cougar/boy toy/trophy wife mechanics in place.

So perhaps, ultimately, the conclusion is that gender roles started to disappear and the dynamics now works both ways when it comes to heterosexual couples and not just with men being always "providers".

What your theory misses is that some women, even if they have/can get a good job to provide for themselves, are still just golddiggers who want a rich husband.

Of course, I suppose that there are gay men like that who are just looking for a rich guy to take care of them.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 12, 2012, 08:53:18 AM
Of course, I suppose that there are gay men like that who are just looking for a rich guy to take care of them.

You suppose? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

What your theory misses is that some women, even if they have/can get a good job to provide for themselves, are still just golddiggers who want a rich husband.

So there are no straight men who'd like a rich woman to look after them?

Ideologue

Quote from: Drakken on November 12, 2012, 12:06:14 AM
In any case, if a professional rely solely on dating sites to find partners, it's more because he is either a socially awkward or is too afraid of rejection and "losing his time". People who are serious about finding a partner are ready to take the necessary steps to meet new people in real life, which means going out, being socially active, having fun, speed dating, and so on.

Meh.  I like it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on November 12, 2012, 08:57:30 AM

Admittedly, there is probably more social stigma with being a "kept man".

dps

Quote from: Brazen on November 12, 2012, 08:57:30 AM

Sure there are.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on November 12, 2012, 04:37:30 AM
A further thought on the matter is that women's preference may turn towards more physically fit individuals as we reach our middle years, as the same noodle-armed intellectuals that read us poetry in our teens might not survive the first heart attack or bout of pneumonia.

I am sure we can talk about all sorts of theories but I thought we were addressing that men's struggles to grow up come from the fact it is easier to get sex.

QuoteSo there are no straight men who'd like a rich woman to look after them?

Well obviously so...or whatever is keeping these guys from working hard in their careers.