Peter Pan Syndrome and Sexual Economics

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 09, 2012, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Hard hitting analysis there. Rings very true when I observe my 21 year old twin sisters and their age cohort.

In fact, it's so factual I have to read some paragraphs twice because they hit so close to home, my eyes kinda blur.

Baumeister is gloriously un-PC in his dissection on Homo Sapiens's sexuality.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 04:42:28 PM
I don't know man.  I think attempts to reduce human behavior to singular causes are generally ridiculous and result in BS if taken too far.

yeah, but I am not sure what this analysis has to do with that

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 05:53:08 PM

Reducing it all about trying to get sex.  It seems like I had alot more crap going on with me when I was struggling to grow up besides that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 06:04:06 PM
Reducing it all about trying to get sex.  It seems like I had alot more crap going on with me when I was struggling to grow up besides that.

Young men go to the extremes to get sex. Their status-seeking in order to get sex is what can drive civilization forward if positively harnessed. 

So if you have to be polite, refrain from killing anyone, even if they deserve it, dress like a fag and endure, say, techno/rap music to have a chance at it, by God you will. On the other hand if you have to get status with an AK-47 and/or a machete, blow yourself up for 72 virgins in the afterlife or drag her to a longboat en route to Iceland in the 900's AD then that's perfectly acceptable as well. 

The Larch

I'm still halfway the article, there are some interesting points and some other that stink like crap from a mile. But what really stood up for me so far is how almost everything the guy quotes to back up his statements are his very own studies. This is so because I say so.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2012, 06:22:17 PM
I'm still halfway the article, there are some interesting points and some other that stink like crap from a mile. But what really stood up for me so far is how almost everything the guy quotes to back up his statements are his very own studies. This is so because I say so.

To be fair he goes out of his way to state his theory as "unproven" and bases alot of his findings on Regnerus. I find him a refreshing middle ground between the hardcore evo-psychs on one hand and the feminist/social constructionists on the other.

The Larch

Quote from: Legbiter on November 09, 2012, 06:41:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2012, 06:22:17 PM

To be fair he goes out of his way to state his theory as "unproven" and bases alot of his findings on Regnerus. I find him a refreshing middle ground between the hardcore evo-psychs on one hand and the feminist/social constructionists on the other.

I also realized afterwards that this is a contribution to a symposium, not a full blown paper, so the level of scrutiny goes down a couple of notches. It kinda improved a lot by the end, but some sections of the middle seem quite prejudiced against women for me.

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on November 09, 2012, 06:44:35 PM
I also realized afterwards that this is a contribution to a symposium, not a full blown paper, so the level of scrutiny goes down a couple of notches. It kinda improved a lot by the end, but some sections of the middle seem quite prejudiced against women for me.

What did you find to be particularly prejudiced against women? What did you like?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on November 09, 2012, 06:41:47 PM

I find him a refreshing middle ground between the hardcore evo-psychs on one hand and the feminist/social constructionists on the other.

Yeah I don't want to devolve this into some gender warrior thing. Those people are nuts and they have Jezebel to troll each other on anyway. Baumeister is most definitely not in the nutso camp. Plenty of his talks/lectures/other stuff on youtube. Like whether robots can achieve free will.

Still, there are surely lots of reasons for things like lower male participation rates in colleges and stuff like that besides sex.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 09, 2012, 07:00:14 PM

Yeah I don't want to devolve this into some gender warrior thing. Those people are nuts and they have Jezebel to troll each other on anyway. Baumeister is most definitely not in the nutso camp. Plenty of his talks/lectures/other stuff on youtube. Like whether robots can achieve free will.

Still, there are surely lots of reasons for things like lower male participation rates in colleges and stuff like that besides sex.

Having a college degree in a field already inundated with degree-holders brings decreased status and hence less chance of displaying enough mojo to attract women. :hmm:

Might as well be formally unemployed while playing bass in a crappy indie band to haul in easy ass.   

crazy canuck

If you were not thinking about sex as a young man you were indeed an outlier.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 09:59:33 PM

I think Valmy's point was that he was thinking about other things, too, not that he wasn't thinking about sex.

And I tend to agree with him.  Sure, when I was in school, I wanted to be able to afford a cool car and stuff, and partly that was because a cool car helps you get chicks, but, still, I wanted the cool car and other cool stuff for its value aside from being a chick magnet.

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on November 09, 2012, 05:28:47 PM
Hard hitting analysis there. Rings very true when I observe my 21 year old twin sisters and their age cohort.

In fact, it's so factual I have to read some paragraphs twice because they hit so close to home, my eyes kinda blur.

Baumeister is gloriously un-PC in his dissection on Homo Sapiens's sexuality.

I keep thinking that Baumeister is the guy who runs the Bauhaus.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 09, 2012, 10:59:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2012, 09:59:33 PM

I think Valmy's point was that he was thinking about other things, too, not that he wasn't thinking about sex.

And I tend to agree with him.  Sure, when I was in school, I wanted to be able to afford a cool car and stuff, and partly that was because a cool car helps you get chicks, but, still, I wanted the cool car and other cool stuff for its value aside from being a chick magnet.

CC already knew that Valmy wasn't saying he didn't think about sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Horrifying how backwards things were back in the day.
These days you don't even agree to go out with a girl till you've had sex, back in the day you had to marry them without a test drive. brr.
██████
██████
██████