News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NOAA to East: Beware of coming 'Frankenstorm

Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 31, 2012, 07:33:23 PM
Hopefully the hipsters are being rounded up in Brooklyn.
[/quote
Williamsburg is fine!  :glare:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2012, 07:32:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 07:16:39 PM
That there's an issue with lower manhattan getting better treatment than the outer boroughs.

Ok, well it's not surprising.

For a moment I thought you were complaining about people making such assertion, be those true or false.  :P

Actually I do complain about that too. I'm not sure why at a time of crisis, people should feel it is a great time to use it to start a discussion about the lack of privileges given to the underprivileged class.  Additionally it isn't even true that lower Manhattan is the land of the lily white.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 31, 2012, 04:44:04 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 31, 2012, 11:28:45 AM
They do, except in hurricane-prone areas.

Explain.
Insurers do try to charge much higher premiums for properties on the coast, since their models show that loss potential may be as high as 20 times the average there.  However, insurance is regulated, and pretty much any state with huge exposure to hurricanes refuses to allow such differentials.  As a result, private insurers leave, and developers and homeowners on the coast don't pay the full price for their decisions.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 08:54:32 PM
I'm not sure why at a time of crisis, people should feel it is a great time to use it to start a discussion about the lack of privileges given to the underprivileged class.

Because the consequences of the lack of privilege is more evident in times like these?

Seems like a pretty daft question, to be honest.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on November 01, 2012, 12:51:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 08:54:32 PM
I'm not sure why at a time of crisis, people should feel it is a great time to use it to start a discussion about the lack of privileges given to the underprivileged class.

Because the consequences of the lack of privilege is more evident in times like these?

Seems like a pretty daft question, to be honest.

Which is a fine conversation to have later but I can't see that it does much at this moment other than build acrimony? I think it's also very unfair as I'm not even sure it is really true with this storm. Sure Manhattan had some great photos of flooded Wall Street but I've heard a lot about Queens and Brooklyn and I don't think the city has been sparing on efforts to help out those parts of the city.

Incidentally I read last night that the amount of customers without power in Lower Manhattan exceeds the total amount of powerless customers in Queens, The Bronx and Brooklyn combined. Talk about what privilege gets you.

CountDeMoney

Didn't know that Queens, The Bronx and Brooklyn were the epicenters of western banking and trading and commercial headquarters, too.

Hey, some places are simply more important than others.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 07:28:13 AM
Didn't know that Queens, The Bronx and Brooklyn were the epicenters of western banking and trading and commercial headquarters, too.

Hey, some places are simply more important than others.

There are stockpiles of the frames you wanted in the hipster fortress in Brooklyn.

garbon

Well there's that as well but really I think it's just an unfair charge at this moment.  While most of the city will see the resumption of limited subway service today, you won't see that in Lower Manhattan.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2012, 07:30:45 AM
There are stockpiles of the frames you wanted in the hipster fortress in Brooklyn.

I'd rather see AIG's data centers get back online before free trade coffee houses.

I really, really hope those idiots don't have their data centers in the sub basements.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 01, 2012, 07:30:45 AM

I'd rather see AIG's data centers get back online before free trade coffee houses.

I really, really hope those idiots don't have their data centers in the sub basements.

Here is a site to entertain you:

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hipster

CountDeMoney

Faeelin

You really, really don't want the answer to this.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on November 01, 2012, 07:45:46 AM

You really, really don't want the answer to this.

:bleeding:

Oh, well...we had to learn from Isabel.  Guess they'll just have to learn from Sandy.  But, probably not.