News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Existential Ennui of the First Order

Started by Camerus, October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Camerus

Getting married and having kids is probably the most tried and true method of combating existential ennui, and perhaps even the best one in many ways.  That being said, it is not the option for everyone, and cannot be done, as it were, at the drop of a hat (though it's certainly within the realm of possibility for most of us).

What I find depressing about *contemplating* it (as opposed to actually being in it, which may well be different) is that it is rather heavily prescriptive in terms of one's future life, and also that it is just a rather banal existence.  Also, I'm not sure creating another human life just to solve my boredom is the best reason to have kids, although that's probably why most of us are here.   :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 23, 2012, 01:46:07 AM
Also, I'm not sure creating another human life just to solve my boredom is the best reason to have kids, although that's probably why most of us are here.   :P

Also because our parents were afraid of death.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 23, 2012, 12:41:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 03:17:24 PM(and on top of that, unethical under Kantian morality which I espouse).

:lmfao:
An obvious reference to Manny Kant, great thinker and proprietor of Manny's Auto Upholstery of Islip, New York.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 23, 2012, 01:46:07 AM
What I find depressing about *contemplating* it (as opposed to actually being in it, which may well be different) is that it is rather heavily prescriptive in terms of one's future life, and also that it is just a rather banal existence.  Also, I'm not sure creating another human life just to solve my boredom is the best reason to have kids, although that's probably why most of us are here.   :P

Well that is the root of your problem isnt it.  You are contemplating and not doing.  Viscious cycle I suppose but one you need to break at some point by doing something - anything really.  Pretend I linked back to Jacob's original post here.

Josquius

The trouble with settling down into the family thing to stop depression is that its so damn final.
Sure, there might be days when it sounds tempting....but its a lifelong commitment. Its gotta get old before too long. You won't go your entire life without having anything else to do.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2012, 11:26:35 AM
The trouble with settling down into the family thing to stop depression is that its so damn final.
Sure, there might be days when it sounds tempting....but its a lifelong commitment. Its gotta get old before too long. You won't go your entire life without having anything else to do.

If you're married with kids there is never any shortage of something else to do. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

You are making the same fundamental error Garbon was making.  One does not settle down into a family for the purpose of stopping dpression but having a family is a good way of avoiding depression for the very reason that it is a lifelong commitment and more importantly attachment.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 11:46:33 AM

You are making the same fundamental error Garbon was making.  One does not settle down into a family for the purpose of stopping dpression but having a family is a good way of avoiding depression for the very reason that it is a lifelong commitment and more importantly attachment.

Unless of course that isn't enough for someone. Not everyone is the same and that might not be the cure-all for one's ennui - which of course PP has now said himself.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2012, 11:56:26 AM

Unless of course that isn't enough for someone. Not everyone is the same and that might not be the cure-all for one's ennui - which of course PP has now said himself.

I am not sure why you keep making the same fundamental error.  It is not a cure.  It is a lifestyle that lends itself to not having the types of problems PP is complaining about.

Malthus

There is a possible correlation-not-causation issue: it could be that those who are *capable* of making such comittments work, are not as likely to be subject to crippling fits of ennui.

Ennui is in part caused by excessive focus on the self (hence things such as interests that 'take you out of yourself' tend to combat it). Being excessively focused on the self is not good for forming lifelong attachments to others, or putting the needs of children before one's own. Those who can do those things are thus less likely to suffer ennui. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2012, 12:26:23 PM
There is a possible correlation-not-causation issue:

Good thing nobody was suggesting such a thing.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 11:14:24 AM
Considering that the purpose of life is whatever you invent (and convince yourself, with the help of drugs, whether generated by your body or ingested or injected from outside) as your purpose, wouldn't it be fair to say that the lack of purpose is the default state for a human being?   

That would be very inaccurate to say.  Humans are meaning making machines.  Not seeing meaning everywhere would be a very strange thing for a human to do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2012, 12:26:23 PM
There is a possible correlation-not-causation issue:

Good thing nobody was suggesting such a thing.

Not saying anyone was.  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius