Ban One Music Genre, Go On You Know You Want To.

Started by mongers, September 20, 2012, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 10:06:27 AM
The thing about Death Metal and a lot of other genres is that they are pretty easy to avoid if you don't like them.  OTOH, stuff like modern country music (which gets lots of crossover hits), urban-contemporary, mainstream rock, and MOR pop are hard to avoid--you hear them everywhere, so if you don't care for them, you still get subjected to them.

I generally don't have that problem (or maybe its that I don't really have any issues with those genres so they just fade into the background for me).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 10:08:34 AM
Quote from: dps on September 21, 2012, 10:06:27 AM
The thing about Death Metal and a lot of other genres is that they are pretty easy to avoid if you don't like them.  OTOH, stuff like modern country music (which gets lots of crossover hits), urban-contemporary, mainstream rock, and MOR pop are hard to avoid--you hear them everywhere, so if you don't care for them, you still get subjected to them.

I generally don't have that problem (or maybe its that I don't really have any issues with those genres so they just fade into the background for me).

I wasn't saying that I have issues with those specific genre (with modern country, yes, but certainly not with mainstream rock) but rather that for those that do have issues with them, they're relatively hard to avoid.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PRC

Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2012, 11:20:35 PM
Quote from: PRC on September 20, 2012, 11:09:25 PM
Death metal.

Please elaborate.

It was mentioned that there are a lot of subgenres in "death metal" so maybe I should break that down further.  I've never heard the term "growl metal" before but that seems like a fitting term and it should be banned because it's shit. 

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

ulmont

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 21, 2012, 06:15:55 PM
Prog.

Dubstep's great in an appropriate context.

I assume by "in an appropriate context," you mean "while tripping balls."  Oddly, that context also works for prog.

FunkMonk

The only appropriate context for dubstep is hell.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: ulmont on September 21, 2012, 06:40:27 PM
Prog.

I assume by "in an appropriate context," you mean "while tripping balls."  Oddly, that context also works for prog.
Some degree of alteration helps. What matters is being in Bristol a few years back dancing in front of an enormous speaker, it's awesome. I agree it doesn't belong on car adverts.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2012, 03:16:44 PM
Hip hop.

Racist! After all hip hop is really just the name for pop songs sung by black people these days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: PRC on September 21, 2012, 11:01:48 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 20, 2012, 11:20:35 PM
Quote from: PRC on September 20, 2012, 11:09:25 PM
Death metal.

Please elaborate.

It was mentioned that there are a lot of subgenres in "death metal" so maybe I should break that down further.  I've never heard the term "growl metal" before but that seems like a fitting term and it should be banned because it's shit.

Growl metal is pretty good name for it.  Music where it sounds like the singer has attempted to swallow the microphone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 21, 2012, 11:29:31 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2012, 03:16:44 PM
Hip hop.

Racist! After all hip hop is really just the name for pop songs sung by black people these days.

I thought hiphop meant rap.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Prog.

Prog? :o
But...but...a lot of it is great. And you never really encounter it unless you look for it.
██████
██████
██████