The DNC KenyanCommieMooselimbDidn'tBuildIt MegaThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 05:39:28 PMJust seems unfair to me that workers at profitable companies get credited for their contribution to corporate taxes in a way that employees at nonprofits don't.

Who assigns credit like that?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on September 07, 2012, 07:00:31 PM
Military service, working in certain nonprofits.

The problem with things like miliitary service and other government jobs is that people get paid to do them.  So you'd have to argue that their contribution to the public good is not fully captured by their compensation.  Which was maybe plausible back in the 70s and 80s but less so now.

This is different than a tax payment because when you pay your taxes you're receiving no direct benefit in return.  You're contributing to the common good by giving up something that has value and someone else is receiving the benefit.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 07:17:48 PM
Who assigns credit like that?

Max.

I think Canuck does too, but I paid less attention to his post and can't swear by it.

Jacob

Yi, you are the only one in this thread who's reducing the concept of citizenship to purely dollar value.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 07:19:35 PM
Yi, you are the only one in this thread who's reducing the concept of citizenship to purely dollar value.

No, that's your language.  I'm talking about contributions to the common good.  I'm saying half of Americans don't help to buy the cheese.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 07:19:35 PM

He reduces free speech to a dollar value, why not citizenship?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 05:57:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2012, 05:51:23 PM
I'm still curious about Yi's statement that half of all Americans make no net contribution to federal discretionary spending.

Something like half of income earners pay no income tax, if my memory serves.  Or maybe half of income tax filers.

You are aware that are more taxes then just income tax, right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Good.  Perhaps you can walk back your statement then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2012, 07:47:41 PM

Perhaps, but most likely not.

Feel free to explain how Social Security and Medicare taxes contribute to the common good though.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 07:18:00 PM
So you'd have to argue that their contribution to the public good is not fully captured by their compensation. 
Indeed you would.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 07:50:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2012, 07:47:41 PM

Perhaps, but most likely not.

Feel free to explain how Social Security and Medicare taxes contribute to the common good though.

I think he was talking about state sales taxes, property taxes, etc.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 05:39:28 PM
Just seems unfair to me that workers at profitable companies get credited for their contribution to corporate taxes in a way that employees at nonprofits don't.

Care to expand on this?  How do employees get credited for their "contribution" to corporate taxes?  How do employees of a nonprofit differ from employees at a profit-making company running in the red?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 07:50:19 PM

I would have thought this to be rather obvious.  Social Security taxes pay disabled people enough that they don't have to resort to begging or crime to obtain their daily needs.  Medicare taxes reimburse healthcare providers so that those in locales with large numbers of old folks don't get driven out of business by being forced to provide emergency care for old people who cannot afford to buy medical care and drugs on their own.

Feel free to explain why you didn't realize this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.