The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on August 30, 2012, 10:12:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:38:24 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2012, 09:36:28 AM
He'll still be W's brother.

They're apples and oranges.  Relatively moderate and sensible apples, and pretty fucking stupid oranges.

And moderate, sensible Jeb is supposed to win GOP primaries how?

Same way Mitt did, I would guess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:34:09 AM

I'm not sure how likely it is to have the entire field of opposition commit seppuku in mass twice in a row. Could happen, I suppose.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:34:09 AM

By pretending not to be moderate or sensible?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:02:26 AM

Reducing government spending of money we don't have?  The monsters!!
Peanuts in an ocean of peanuts; sorry but that argument wont float, just like it doesnt float with eliminating the couple million a year the government gives to PBS.
The fiscal conservative argument only works with real dollar issues, not with partisan peanuts.

Valmy

Courageously cutting all the programs they oppose anyway!  What courageous deficit warriors they are :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:33:36 AM

Women can (and should) decide how to live their lives without cash from the gubmint.

You're deliberately ignoring the fact that the whole reason for that slash was to eliminate abortion in those two states. It wasn't about cutting funds. It was about cutting availability.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 10:44:27 AM

Peanuts in an ocean of peanuts; sorry but that argument wont float, just like it doesnt float with eliminating the couple million a year the government gives to PBS.
The fiscal conservative argument only works with real dollar issues, not with partisan peanuts.

This is why I :wub: you.

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2012, 10:45:39 AM

Courageously cutting all the programs they oppose anyway!  What courageous deficit warriors they are :P

And you. :wub:

It's also why I get so frustrated with the Republican Party. Yes, we need to cut spending, but for fuck's sake, cut it where it counts and not just where the social conservatives have issues. It's complete bullshit, and everyone knows it, yet it continues.

And before you go there, derspiess, I'm no more enamoured of the Democrats when it comes to this stuff, too. Their idea of a good slash is cutting military. That's it. They got nothing else. Damn one-trick ponies, the lot of them.

Faeelin

That doesn't seem accurate. Obama proposed huge spending cuts last year as part of his bargain to raise the debt level last year, and the GOP walked because it would have entailed a tax hike.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2012, 10:47:27 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:33:36 AM

Women can (and should) decide how to live their lives without cash from the gubmint.

You're deliberately ignoring the fact that the whole reason for that slash was to eliminate abortion in those two states. It wasn't about cutting funds. It was about cutting availability.

Fine with me.  I'm against any federal funds for abortion, budget crunch or no.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 11:04:30 AM

Ok you are confusing me here.  I thought we were talking about the policies of the Texas State government here.  In any case I hope in their paranoia they can see the public policy benefit of trying to help poor women in the Rio Grande Valley with family planning just without any abortion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

So I missed much of this.  What are the "Hard truths" that Mitt Romney is going to tell?  That the GOP base is going to have to suck it up and the only realistic way they can balance the budget is to raise taxes and that we are all in this together?  Or is closer to, we can balance the budget by cutting services to people you don't like already.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

I was under the impression that federal funds do NOT pay for abortions. What was cut was the funding to the clinic - you know, the part that actually takes care of women's health and provides affordable birth control to help limit abortions in the first place? - which resulted in culling the clinics entirely.

Valmy, yes, it's about Texas state government that's supported, funded, and steamrolled by the GOP. If Romney is elected, expect to see this happening across the nation.

CountDeMoney

Well, we don't do that anyway, so you should be happy as a clam.  Here, have a whore pill.