And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:21:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2012, 09:12:05 AM
Because it is not like Obama is going to get some sort of personal rights prize.

Compared to the legislative initiatives state and Congressional Republicans have been pushing regarding abortion and contraception for the last 2 years, you're really going to go there?

I want to hear about the contraception ones.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:10:07 AM
Nah...I think, after four years of Obama, should he win, despite the enragement that it would ignite within the Teabaggers, the GOP will correct itself for Jeb Bush.

Jeb Bush will be their man in 2016.  I think by then the Paul Ryan/Eric Cantor/Bob McDonald flavors will have run their course.

He'll still be W's brother.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2012, 09:36:28 AM

They're apples and oranges.  Relatively moderate and sensible apples, and pretty fucking stupid oranges.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on August 30, 2012, 09:12:05 AM
Are my rights worth a balanced budget?  :hmm: Not that he would actually balance the budget.  But Hans will be around telling us why in fact it doesn't matter if the budget is balanced because it is less of a deficit by percentage of the economy than what Greece runs.

What are you thinking of specifically Meri?  Reproductive rights sort of stuff?  Because it is not like Obama is going to get some sort of personal rights prize.

I'm thinking reproductive rights, immigration rights, equal rights for gay marriage, the right to medical care, etc. I may be a fiscal conservative, but I'm about as liberal as they come on the social side of things. Paul Ryan would turn this country upside down given half a chance and a well-stacked House and Senate.

Though, I am struggling to find anywhere that Obama has done poorly on any of those. He's moving at a snail's pace on some, yes, but I actually think that's the better way to go about it. Better to guide and lead than to push and shove, imo. I know that as a country we'll get there, but it will not be an overnight thing, and I respect Obama's approach.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:38:24 AM

They're apples and oranges.  Relatively moderate and sensible apples, and pretty fucking stupid oranges.

I just think some voters will find a Clinton vs Bush race unsettling. And he won't have nearly as easy a time as Hilary securing the nomination.

BTW, as Jeb is from Florida, he should probably be the oranges. ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 30, 2012, 09:43:11 AM
I just think some voters will find a Clinton vs Bush race unsettling. And he won't have nearly as easy a time as Hilary securing the nomination.

BTW, as Jeb is from Florida, he should probably be the oranges. ;)

I dunno about Clinton, man.  If Chelsea gets knocked up between now and 2014, she's out.  She wants to be a grandmother.

Now, if my man O'Malley throws his hat in the ring, look the fuck out.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:24:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 09:23:35 AM
I want to hear about the contraception ones.

Blunt Amendment.

That's all you've got?  I was expecting to hear about evil GOPers making contraception illegal & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 09:51:10 AM
That's all you've got?  I was expecting to hear about evil GOPers making contraception illegal & whatnot.

Well, yeah, how else are you gonna keep up the supply of babies for rich people to eat?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Nah, slashing funding for women's health in Texas and New Jersey, along with candidates like Santorum getting enough support, and Mittens promising to eliminate Title X is more than enough to mention.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:56:11 AM

Nah, slashing funding for women's health in Texas and New Jersey, along with candidates like Santorum getting enough support, and Mittens promising to eliminate Title X is more than enough to mention.

Reducing government spending of money we don't have?  The monsters!!

Gups

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 30, 2012, 09:38:24 AM

And moderate, sensible Jeb is supposed to win GOP primaries how?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:02:26 AM

Slashing money from women's health while wanting to spend it on bail outs and invading Syria.  :hmm:

Yeah, I've got a small problem with that. Especially since the Virginia and Texas things are small change and intended entirely to shut down abortion in their states. Don't play, derspiess. You know as well as I do that cutting that kind of funding is a drop in the bucket compared to dozens of other options out there, and they only serve one purpose: taking away the rights of women to decide for themselves how to live their lives.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 30, 2012, 10:24:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2012, 10:02:26 AM

Slashing money from women's health while wanting to spend it on bail outs and invading Syria.  :hmm:

I'm against the latter two.

QuoteYeah, I've got a small problem with that. Especially since the Virginia and Texas things are small change and intended entirely to shut down abortion in their states. Don't play, derspiess. You know as well as I do that cutting that kind of funding is a drop in the bucket compared to dozens of other options out there, and they only serve one purpose: taking away the rights of women to decide for themselves how to live their lives.

Women can (and should) decide how to live their lives without cash from the gubmint.