News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I haven't seen it do anything yet. Though as Portugal I'm also besties with Spain.

Actually I just loaded up as Spain in that game and I think I know what it is - and seems lame. Spain can seize colonies by moving troops into a colony and then pressing the option seize (under the burn province button).  However, it is only allowed in actual colonies - and once a settlement is self-sustaining (i.e. a city) then the game doesn't treat it as a colony.

I don't think AI would ever be proactive enough to seize while they are actual colonies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 11:56:59 AM
I haven't seen it do anything yet. Though as Portugal I'm also besties with Spain.

Actually I just loaded up as Spain in that game and I think I know what it is - and seems lame. Spain can seize colonies by moving troops into a colony and then pressing the option seize (under the burn province button).  However, it is only allowed in actual colonies - and once a settlement is self-sustaining (i.e. a city) then the game doesn't treat it as a colony.

I don't think AI would ever be proactive enough to seize while they are actual colonies.

I suppose that makes sense since the tooltip says they can claim "colonies". 

garbon

Yeah but basically makes it irrelevant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 12:29:46 PM

Not really.  It takes some time to build a colony into a city - especially in MP games if the human player is maximizing the number of colonies he can develop.  If Spain could simply take over developed cities this would likely be OP.

Solmyr

You can do that as anyone, not just Spain. Was the same in EU3.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on August 21, 2013, 12:46:01 PM

Oh. Then I'm really confused on what the bonus is to Spain. I didn't see anything.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2013, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 12:29:46 PM

Not really.  It takes some time to build a colony into a city - especially in MP games if the human player is maximizing the number of colonies he can develop.  If Spain could simply take over developed cities this would likely be OP.

Well yes in MP it is relevant. In single player doesn't seem that feature matters much. But then that's clearly not what the idea does per Sol's new post.

dps

Yeah, and the AI in EU3 definately does it.

It says it alllows Spain to claim colonies.  Maybe that means that they get a CB to go to war for them?

crazy canuck

But they have to go to war first.  I think this allows Spain to do it without going to war.

Anatron

you can do this only when you are at war with them right?

Solmyr

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2013, 01:35:27 PM
But they have to go to war first.  I think this allows Spain to do it without going to war.

How would you move troops into someone's colony without going to war? In MP nobody would ever give Spain military access if this is true.

EDIT: This thread seems to answer this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?714435-Spain-s-Idea-Inter-Caetera

QuoteFrom what I understand, it gives you a free casus belli to claim any colony to any nation, without the need to previously fabricate the claim.

You can wage instant war against anybody who has a colony, and they don't cost you any diplomatic points in the peace treaty.

I.e., other nations only get CB to claim colonies adjacent to their own, while Spain can claim any colony.

PRC

1.1.2 Hotfix is out

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?714668-1.1.2-Hotfix&s=2648144433fae7358bbde48afe5a44fd

- Filter on tags now works
- Fixed issues with joining/inviting friends from friends list
- Server requests password if it ain't provided
- Fixed dedicated server not displaying the correct version
- Fixed sorting on server names
- Improved joining server status message
- Keep server browser scrollbar position when adding new servers to the lis
- Fixed a better oos-message. The client now gets an error-code so we can know what it was that went oos. (revision 8323)
- Supply, demand, total_produced, num_supply_provinces and num_demand_provinces for tradegoods are now saved in savegame (fixes hotjoin OOS).
- Fixed pause-bug on standalone server.
- Added better information for the client during hotjoin-request.
- Connection popup no longer in front of password popup
- You no longer get password rejected message when getting an invite to a password protected game
- No longer possible to filter on empty tag, either all servers or some tags
- If you search for a tag, steam will now return a global search enableing any player to find any game if his searching for the tag

Queequeg

Anyone have any idea on how not to get raped by the Spanish as the Eighty Year's War start Dutch?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

CHRIST.  FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.  I SURVIVED THE 80 YEARS WAR AND THEN ACCEPTED AN ALLIANCE FROM NAVARRE NOT KNOWING IT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MEAN I WAS AT WAR WITH FUCKING FRANCE.  FUCK ME.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PRC

Quote from: Queequeg on August 22, 2013, 05:02:28 PM
CHRIST.  FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.  I SURVIVED THE 80 YEARS WAR AND THEN ACCEPTED AN ALLIANCE FROM NAVARRE NOT KNOWING IT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY MEAN I WAS AT WAR WITH FUCKING FRANCE.  FUCK ME.

Ironman, I assume?