Future Olympic Sports - What Should Be In And What Out ?

Started by mongers, August 01, 2012, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2012, 07:04:11 PM
US chick who won gold in judo is built like a semi.

Incidentally, anyone know why it's called a semi?  Is there a full version too?

The Middletown (aka Middletucky) Ohio woman? Yeah, they are like that there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Back in the old days, Olympic sports were stuff that was essentially practice for war; javelin, wrestling, archery, chariot racing. We could use some Olympic radar jamming, fighter racing, parachute jumping and drone piloting I guess.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 02, 2012, 07:55:03 PM
Back in the old days, Olympic sports were stuff that was essentially practice for war; javelin, wrestling, archery, chariot racing. We could use some Olympic radar jamming, fighter racing, parachute jumping and drone piloting I guess.  :P

As long as they don't give out medals, would be disgraceful. :mad:

Neil

Quote from: sbr on August 02, 2012, 08:08:18 PM

:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I'm disappointed that Fukuda Keiko Sensei is not competing in judo. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2012, 08:26:06 PM
Cricket would be cool.  Baseball, less so.  Still, pro baseball is on during the Olympics, and without the pros what's the point?

That, apparantly, is why baseball was dropped--MLB refused (kind of understandably) to release their players to compete.  Though that doesn't explain why softball was also dropped.

Josquius

I have read that were it not for WW2 cancelling 1940 we would have glider flying in the olympics. :menace:
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

So I'm watching the lesbo version of this "Handball" this morning...when did this sport get invented?  Are there leagues or something I don't know about?  WTF is the story on this "game"?

For fuck's sake, I'd have more respect for the Olympics if they got rid of this and brought in Roller Derby.  If you're going to invent a sport, make it a cool one.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 03, 2012, 11:35:59 AM
So I'm watching the lesbo version of this "Handball" this morning...when did this sport get invented?  Are there leagues or something I don't know about?  WTF is the story on this "game"?

For fuck's sake, I'd have more respect for the Olympics if they got rid of this and brought in Roller Derby.  If you're going to invent a sport, make it a cool one.

QuoteThere are records of handball-like games in medieval France, and among the Inuit in Greenland, in the Middle Ages. By the 19th century, there existed similar games of håndbold from Denmark, házená in the Czech Republic, hádzaná in Slovakia, gandbol in Ukraine, torball in Germany, as well as versions in Uruguay.

The team handball game of today was formed by the end of the 19th century in northern Europe - primarily in Denmark, Germany, Norway and Sweden. The first written set of team handball rules was published in 1906 by the Danish gym teacher, lieutenant and Olympic medalist Holger Nielsen from Ordrup grammar school north of Copenhagen. The modern set of rules was published on 29 October 1917 by Max Heiser, Karl Schelenz, and Erich Konigh from Germany. After 1919 these rules were improved by Karl Schelenz. The first international games were played under these rules, between Germany and Belgium for men in 1925 and between Germany and Austria for women in 1930. Therefore modern handball is generally seen as a game of German origins.

In 1926, the Congress of the International Amateur Athletics Federation nominated a committee to draw up international rules for field handball. The International Amateur Handball Federation was formed in 1928, and the International Handball Federation was formed in 1946.

Men's field handball was played at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin. During the next several decades, indoor handball flourished and evolved in the Scandinavian countries. The sport re-emerged onto the world stage as team handball for the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich. Women's team handball was added at the 1976 Summer Olympics. Due to its popularity in the region, the Eastern European countries that refined the event became the dominant force in the sport when it was reintroduced.

The International Handball Federation organized the men's world championship in 1938 and every 4 (sometimes 3) years from World War II to 1995. Since the 1995 world championship in Iceland, the competition has been every two years. The women's world championship has been played since 1957. The IHF also organizes women's and men's junior world championships. By July 2009, the IHF listed 166 member federations - approximately 795,000 teams and 19 million players.

As others said before: the sport is very popular in Germany, Scandiweenia, the Balkans, South Korea, etc. Went to watch THW Kiel (ruling German dynasty in the past 10-20 years) plenty of times as well as our local clubs. Very strong grassroots level in North Germany.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2012, 11:51:44 AM

QuoteThe modern set of rules was published on 29 October 1917 by Max Heiser, Karl Schelenz, and Erich Konigh from Germany.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on August 02, 2012, 08:08:18 PM

Good show. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.