Future Olympic Sports - What Should Be In And What Out ?

Started by mongers, August 01, 2012, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What additional sports do you think should be included in future Olympics and which ones should be withdrawn. 

I'd like to see cricket in as well as Kabaddi, if for no other reason than the sporting enthusiasm of a large chunk of humanity are excluded from the Olympics.

Now that baseball is getting more popular, I think it could be included, am assuming it isn't at London, though I haven't checked.  I seem to recall it's been at other Olympics.

Personally I think some of the martial arts could be cut back or at the very least some of the numerous weight categories trimmed as they produce a preponderance of medals in the overall totals.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Horse archery  :)

Central Asia's #1 sport for three thousand years must be represented.

And of course Baseball and Softball need to be back in.  Japan and Cuba need more medals.  They were cut from these games I think because London did not want to build the facilities.  But surely Brazil has a few baseball parks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Football in the olympics is just pointless. The olympics should be about the best athletes in the world, with football though its just whcihever randomers from each country fancy playing.

Karate should be in as should some sort of speed climbing and skateboarding.
And to bring back the Victorian classic, the tug of war, would be fantastic.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

I'd also say perhaps they could cut back on the number of rowing events, it is after all mainly toffs sitting down in something that floats on water.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2012, 08:11:31 PM
Football in the olympics is just pointless. The olympics should be about the best athletes in the world, with football though its just whcihever randomers from each country fancy playing.

Karate should be in as should some sort of speed climbing and skateboarding.
And to bring back the Victorian classic, the tug of war, would be fantastic.

Yeah, that would be great for flavour, but I don't think anyone in the world competes at that 'seriously'*

* And no doubt someone will link to a flourishing international scene and point of that England has a national and regional league set up, that I'm not aware of.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 07:59:22 PM
Mixed martial arts.

:D

Actually, it would probably be legit to add that and get rid of some of the others. I know that won't happen.

It is crazy baseball isn't in.

Cricket would make sense too--the national sport of the subcontinent, which is a huge chunk of the world population right there.

Get rid of:
-ballroom dancing (maybe this is male bias showing)
-trampoline
-dressage

Reform:
-boxing. Olympic boxing is awful.
-shooting / archery. the events should be cooler like the winter event where you ski and shoot. Maybe add moving targets. Maybe the moving targets could be the other competitors.  :ph34r:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

Josquius

Cricket I'd disagree with for the same reason as football. The olympics should be about the best of the best, for that we have the cricket world cup.

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2012, 08:15:09 PM
Yeah, that would be great for flavour, but I don't think anyone in the world competes at that 'seriously'*

That's why I approve. For a while at least will give random nutters the world over a chance to try and get themselves into the olympics, just the way the olympics were originally meant to be! :D
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Cricket would be cool.  Baseball, less so.  Still, pro baseball is on during the Olympics, and without the pros what's the point?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Swimming events should be cut by a factor of 4.  Phelps is good, but being able to win 37 gold medals in one year, because swimming with your left pinky up, and with it down, counts as two separate medal events, is ridiculous.  A lot of those events should be combined into either a combo event, or just a multi-round competition.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2012, 08:36:59 PM
Swimming events should be cut by a factor of 4.  Phelps is good, but being able to win 37 gold medals in one year, because swimming with your left pinky up, and with it down, counts as two separate medal events, is ridiculous.  A lot of those events should be combined into either a combo event, or just a multi-round competition.

:yes:

Scipio

Restore the classic pentathlon, and have everyone who competes in the modern pentathlon have to compete in it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on August 01, 2012, 08:26:06 PM
Cricket would be cool.  Baseball, less so.  Still, pro baseball is on during the Olympics, and without the pros what's the point?

The NHL makes it work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive