Did Chick-fil-A Pretend to Be a Teenage Girl on Facebook?

Started by garbon, July 25, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2012, 03:55:40 PM
If I was Chik-Fil-A I would want this story to go away as fast as possible, and would hate for such a display by "supporters" that only keeps the story in the news for longer.

If you were Chik-Fil-A you would probably be open on Sunday too.

I heard Cathy speak in January at a conference I was at on the topic of financial controls. He spent a couple of minutes discussing Jesus, Sunday school, blah blah blah. Either spreading conservative Christianity is a core mission of his business, or it is a core marketing concept.

Interestingly, I think In and Out Burgers on the west coast is also into the christian stuff a bit like Chik Fil A.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2012, 06:13:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 06:11:36 PM
And they don't have the banana pudding milkshakes right now. Peach? Sucks.

Yeah, I was bitching about that one yesterday.

I might have to make a banana pudding and toss it into a blender with some ice cream just to see how close I can come to their version.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 06:15:12 PM
Is this because they have Banana Pudding milkshakes, or because of the gay? Remember, I can't be swayed by social issues.

It's actually awful, I just want you to suffer.

Sonic is where milkshakes are at.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:21:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2012, 06:15:12 PM
Is this because they have Banana Pudding milkshakes, or because of the gay? Remember, I can't be swayed by social issues.

It's actually awful, I just want you to suffer.

Sonic is where milkshakes are at.

I'm smarter than that. KFC is an abomination.  :)

And Sonic sucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:09:29 PM
I don't understand your point. You don't think you believe she is a bigot because she has a religious justification for her viewpoint. I don't think that's relevant; plenty of religious people can and have had bigoted views.

Would you prefer the term "morally wrong?"

I would prefer the term "I disagree."

My point is not that HE is not a bigot because HE has a religious justification.  My point is that the word bigot has a meaning other than "someone who is opposed in whole or in part to a gay issue."  Same with homophobe and gay basher.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:02:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 05:51:51 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 04:32:33 PM
I don't see the simplification? People are angry that Cathy thinks God's judgment will come to America if it allows gay marriage and because Chick Fila gives millions to anti-gay groups.

"I'm not sure that there are many consumer products that want to be associated with bigotry."

You're right. She has a genuine belief that God will punish this nation for its arrogance in thinking gays can marry.
It's a dude, dude.
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 01, 2012, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2012, 03:55:40 PM
If I was Chik-Fil-A I would want this story to go away as fast as possible, and would hate for such a display by "supporters" that only keeps the story in the news for longer.

If you were Chik-Fil-A you would probably be open on Sunday too.

I heard Cathy speak in January at a conference I was at on the topic of financial controls. He spent a couple of minutes discussing Jesus, Sunday school, blah blah blah. Either spreading conservative Christianity is a core mission of his business, or it is a core marketing concept.

Interestingly, I think In and Out Burgers on the west coast is also into the christian stuff a bit like Chik Fil A.

Nah.  Being closed on Sundays doesn't risk turning off a percentage of the total population.  You lose 1/7 of your sales (but probably less - can't imagine Sunday is a big fast food day), but you don't offend anyone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2012, 06:23:46 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:09:29 PM
I don't understand your point. You don't think you believe she is a bigot because she has a religious justification for her viewpoint. I don't think that's relevant; plenty of religious people can and have had bigoted views.

Would you prefer the term "morally wrong?"

My point is not that HE is not a bigot because HE has a religious justification.  My point is that the word bigot has a meaning other than "someone who is opposed in whole or in part to a gay issue."  Same with homophobe and gay basher.
Agreed Yi. Doesn't he have about the same view on same sex marriage as Pres Obama did prior to a few months ago?

Faeelin

Yes yes, it's a dude. Thank you to the three people who pointed this out.

Isn't the whole point about whether or not what he said is bigoted? Those supporting gay rights want to live in a country where she is viewed as a bigot; those supporting her want to live in a nation where her viewpoint is recognized as mainstream. The whole point of the outrage is really to stigmatize her statements; the whole point of defending them is to support and encourage them, especially on the heels of so many corporations coming out for gay marriage.

Faeelin

Quote from: KRonn on August 01, 2012, 06:51:36 PM
Agreed Yi. Doesn't he have about the same view on same sex marriage as Pres Obama did prior to a few months ago?

Obama thought God's judgment would descend upon its America for its arrogance thinking gays could marry and donated money to groups associated with opposition to gay marriage?

I think there is a difference between Obama saying "I support equal rights for gays but don't think they should get married" and "God will punish us for our hubris."

dps

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:53:28 PM

Isn't the whole point about whether or not what she said is bigoted? Those supporting gay rights want to live in a country where she is viewed as a bigot; those supporting her want to live in a nation where her viewpoint is recognized as mainstream. The whole point of the outrage is really to stigmatize her statements; the whole point of defending them is to support and encourage them, especially on the heels of so many corporations coming out for gay marriage.

So even after 3 different people have pointed out that the owner is male, not female, you still can't figure out the right personal pronoun to use?  Or are you just trying to be insulting to him? (Hint:  he probably doesn't vist Languish, so it's highly unlikely that he'll be insulted.)  Or are you just making a juvenile joke based on his last name?

Faeelin

dps

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
I made a typo. I hope you can forgive me.

No problemo.  I'm not one of the Grammar Nazis (though I reserve the right to point an laugh at others mistakes).  In this case, I thought it was deliberate, which had some unfortunate implications.

Faeelin

Quote from: dps on August 01, 2012, 07:05:06 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
I made a typo. I hope you can forgive me.

No problemo.  I'm not one of the Grammar Nazis (though I reserve the right to point an laugh at others mistakes).  In this case, I thought it was deliberate, which had some unfortunate implications.

No, although my reply was a bit more short tempered than it should've been.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 01, 2012, 06:53:28 PM

Isn't the whole point about whether or not what she said is bigoted? Those supporting gay rights want to live in a country where she is viewed as a bigot; those supporting her want to live in a nation where her viewpoint is recognized as mainstream. The whole point of the outrage is really to stigmatize her statements; the whole point of defending them is to support and encourage them, especially on the heels of so many corporations coming out for gay marriage.

In my book the antithesis of bigot is *not* mainstream.  18th century abolitionists were not bigots as far as I can tell.

Why is it necessary that the rest of the country view HIM ( :lol:) as a bigot?  There are people on both sides of the affirmative action debate who go days and weeks without considering each other bigots.  Same with abortion, same with all kinds of issues.