News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Life imitates GTAIV

Started by garbon, August 13, 2012, 09:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/jet-skier-breaks-jfk-airports-100-million-security-091034261--abc-news-topstories.html

QuoteA man whose jet ski failed him in New York's Jamaica Bay swam to John F. Kennedy airport, where he was easily able to penetrate the airport $100 million, state-of-the art security system.

Daniel Casillo, 31, was able to swim up to and enter the airport grounds on Friday night, past an intricate system of motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras designed to to safeguard against terrorists, authorities said.

"I think he should be given dinner and a bottle of champagne for showing us our faults," said Nicholas Casale, an NYPD veteran and former MTA deputy security director for counterterrorism.

Instead, Casillo was arrested after the incredible adventure that has stunned security officials.

Casillo's night began innocently enough, as he and some friends were racing on jet skis in Jamaica Bay near JFK airport when his watercraft stalled. After calling for and receiving no help, he managed to swim towards the only thing he could see, the runway lights at JFK.

Once he made it to land, Casillo climbed an eight-foot barbed-wire perimeter fence and walked undetected through the airport's Perimeter Intrusion Detection System and across two runways into Delta's terminal 3.

Unnoticed until then, Casillo walked into the airport dripping wet and wearing his bright yellow life jacket.

When he was eventually spotted by a Delta employee, police charged Casillo with criminal trespassing.

"It's outrageous," Casale said. "Why in 2012 do we not have a security system throughout our airports?"

This is not the first time an airport's security systems failed.

In March, a black jeep sped down a runway at Philadelphia's international airport. That incident came on the heels of another in California, when a BMW slammed through the airport fence when the driver reportedly lost control.

Last year at JFK there was a huge uproar over that same perimeter fence, when it was knocked out by weather and remained down for days.

New York Port Authority officials tell ABC News this time around they "took immediate action to increase its police presence with round the clock patrols of the facility's perimeter and increased patrols by boat of the surrounding waterway."

"We have called for an expedited review of the incident and a complete investigation to determine how Raytheon's perimeter intrusion detection system-which exceeds federal requirements-could be improved. Our goal is to keep the region's airports safe and secure at all times," the Port Authority said in a statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

As long as terrorists don't start riding on jet skis in poor repair, we're safe.

Razgovory

Maybe he shouldn't be out on a jet ski at night.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2012, 09:30:35 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/jet-skier-breaks-jfk-airports-100-million-security-091034261--abc-news-topstories.html

When he was eventually spotted by a Delta employee, police charged Casillo with criminal trespassing.

So, what is he supposed to do? Just lay back in the water and die?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 13, 2012, 09:52:38 AM

So, what is he supposed to do? Just lay back in the water and die?

Yeah charging him seems odd - though I understand why he was initially arrested.  Also, read a different article and it appears the Delta worker didn't spot him - rather he went to the Delta worker for help as he'd lost his keys/wallet/ID when the jet ski went down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

"We have called for an expedited review of the incident and a complete investigation to determine how Raytheon's perimeter intrusion detection system-which exceeds federal requirements-could be improved. Our goal is to keep the region's airports safe and secure at all times," the Port Authority said in a statement.
Raytheon needs to be awarded more contract money. :showoff:

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2012, 10:01:49 AMYeah charging him seems odd - though I understand why he was initially arrested.

Maybe a case of someone thinking, "I'm not burning my fingers, let's play this safe: let the courts sort that out."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

If exceeding federal guidelines means a random dude on bright garments walks into runways it's probably a good idea to start improving things by changing the requirements.

sbr

Quote from: Iormlund on August 13, 2012, 04:19:17 PM

If exceeding federal guidelines means a random dude on bright garments walks into runways it's probably a good idea to start improving things by changing the requirements.

Maybe the system wasn't turned on?

CountDeMoney

Meh, would've imitated GTA4 better if he had knocked somebody off the jet ski, and then ran over them with it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 05:03:14 PM
Meh, would've imitated GTA4 better if he had knocked somebody off the jet ski, and then ran over them with it.

Then climbed in a Little Bird and strafed the runway before crashing into the control tower. While Run to the Hills was playing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Also, if he had been a filthy Slav. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Well he does have the filth bit.

Phillip V

The security system was not programmed to stop white people.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on August 13, 2012, 07:46:30 PM
The security system was not programmed to stop white people.

Exactly.  It's specifically designed to be triggered when a terrorist's thobe gets snagged on the wire.