The Thurston Mittens the 3rd Veep Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, July 06, 2012, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2012, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2012, 02:51:00 PM
LaBolt sounds like a good press secretary though I'd wager his statement was more rhetorical than attempting to be factual.

Yeah, being factual seems to be a bit of a challenge for their side.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/08/23/anderson_cooper_hammers_wasserman_schultz_over_romney__abortion.html

Debbie! :wub:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 03:25:33 PM
I can't wait until the convention in Tampa.  It's going to be the most riveting summer television since Iran-Contra, if only to see what Mittens can step into next.

QuoteMitt Romney Says Big Business 'Doing Fine' After Criticizing Obama for Similar Remarks

HOPKINS, Minn. - Mitt Romney said Thursday night that big businesses are "doing fine," using similar language that the presumptive nominee has hammered President Obama for using to describe the private sector earlier this year.

"I'm going to champion small business. We've got to make it easier for small businesses. Big business is doing fine in many places - they get the loans they need, they can deal with all the regulation," said Romney, speaking to a group of supporters at a private fundraiser in Minnesota.

Romney then added that the reason that big businesses are "doing fine in many places" is because they are able to invest their money in "tax havens."

"They know how to find ways to get through the tax code, save money by putting various things in the places where there are low tax havens around the world for their businesses," said Romney. "But small business is getting crushed."

While Romney often talks about the negative impact regulations have on small businesses during his campaign speeches, his remarks tonight sounded similar to those made by Obama in June in which he said the private sector was "doing fine."

Romney has since used the president's words as a frequent example on the campaign trail of Obama being out of touch with struggling Americans.

At a campaign rally in Michigan just days following Obama's remarks Romney said that the president, "trying to explain that everything's going swimmingly," remarked that "the private sector is doing fine."

Eliciting boos from the crowd, Romney added, "Yeah, I don't hear that where I go across the country, with the 23 million people out of work or underemployed."

Additionally, while Romney said tax havens were helping businesses succeed during his remarks tonight, the candidate's own personal finances have come under scrutiny after it was revealed that some of his investments were placed in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands.

Another non-"gotcha".  Romney said larger businesses were doing fine, which they are, while Obama said the entire private sector was doing fine, which it's not.

Keep trying.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 24, 2012, 03:41:50 PM
Debbie! :wub:

At least she did something a little different with her hair.  It doesn't look great, but it's a little less poodly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Oh hey, Sheriff Joe Arpaio is speaking at the Republican convention: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/joe-arpaio-speaking-gop-convention_n_1821813.html

Does that make him a mainstream Republican?

MadImmortalMan

I don't understand the interest in that guy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on August 24, 2012, 05:55:12 PM
Oh hey, Sheriff Joe Arpaio is speaking at the Republican convention: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/joe-arpaio-speaking-gop-convention_n_1821813.html

Does that make him a mainstream Republican?

He's not speaking at the Convention, he is "scheduled to address a large audience of Republican National Convention delegates from western states at a special reception on August 30th. The event is invitation-only."

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on August 24, 2012, 09:58:03 PMHe's not speaking at the Convention, he is "scheduled to address a large audience of Republican National Convention delegates from western states at a special reception on August 30th. The event is invitation-only."

Ah yeah, so he's not speaking at the convention, he's just giving a speech while at the convention.But yeah, I get the difference.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 25, 2012, 01:52:31 PM
Ah yeah, so he's not speaking at the convention, he's just giving a speech while at the convention.But yeah, I get the difference.

It doesn't seem that you do.  Any private citizen can fly to Tampa, rent a hotel ballroom and invite anyone he wants to come come and listen to him speak.  Joe Biden for example plans to be in Tampa addressing the media.  I don't think you would describe that as Joe Biden speaking at the GOP convention.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2012, 04:38:01 PMIt doesn't seem that you do.  Any private citizen can fly to Tampa, rent a hotel ballroom and invite anyone he wants to come come and listen to him speak.  Joe Biden for example plans to be in Tampa addressing the media.  I don't think you would describe that as Joe Biden speaking at the GOP convention.

Exactly. That's what I said. He's giving a speech while at the convention. He's not speaking at the convention. Or if you would prefer, he's not Speaking at the Convention.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on August 25, 2012, 04:54:18 PM
Exactly. That's what I said. He's giving a speech while at the convention. He's not speaking at the convention. Or if you would prefer, he's not Speaking at the Convention.

I thought you were being sarcastic. :ultra:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2012, 05:11:09 PM

I spent a whole two minutes trying to figure out how to say that without running the risk of sounding sarcastic, and I realized it was pretty much impossible.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2012, 05:11:09 PM

Yes, Languish is full of sarcastic statements.  :rolleyes: