German court rules religious circumcision on boys an assault

Started by Zanza, June 27, 2012, 01:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2012, 04:03:01 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what harmless thought I will have that is edgey or countercultural...like wanting to paint my second boys room purple, you know, roman style.  But it seems purple will make him ever confused about his sexuality and gender identity or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now purple may be the color of the wealthy, Christ and Caesars, but he should definitely be OK if it's in sports teams.

merithyn

Meh parents in the US take an interest in every single aspect to obsessive detail these days.  I have never seen a more ridiculously opinionated group of people before.  There is not one issue, no matter how minute and seemingly mundane, that somebody has not equated some arbitrary position with child abuse or worse.  'OMG you potty trained at 20 months instead of 24 months!  HITLER!!!111'

It never ceases to amaze me what harmless thought I will have that is edgey or countercultural...like wanting to paint my second boys room purple, you know, roman style.  But it seems purple will make him ever confused about his sexuality and gender identity or something. 

'Wow purple it is nice to see somebody bravely taking a stand against societal gender modes'

'Purple!  OMG your son will be confused and he will end up therapy for years.  FOUL LIBERUL ABUSER!'

'um...I just thought it reminded me of the Toga Virilis' :nerd:

Okay, there is that aspect to be considered, too. Number one rule of parenting in 2012: Never share your plans until they are fait accompli. Don't seek an opinon, any advice, or otherwise share what you plan to do with or for your child until it's already a done deal. Then, it's harder for people to condemn you for it. They will still try, but it's not quite as easily done.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

'Wow purple it is nice to see somebody bravely taking a stand against societal gender modes'

'Purple!  OMG your son will be confused and he will end up therapy for years.  FOUL LIBERUL ABUSER!'

'um...I just thought it reminded me of the Toga Virilis' :nerd:
When I was a kid purple was definitely a male colour. The line was between green and yellow. Anything on the red side was feminine, anything on the blue side was masculine.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 04:08:39 PM

Now purple may be the color of the wealthy, Christ and Caesars, but he should definitely be OK if it's in sports teams.

What's wrong with a little gender role mixing? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 04:18:08 PM

Fine.  Sports teams AND Prince.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 03:18:32 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 03:11:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 03:08:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 03:06:01 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 27, 2012, 03:01:48 PM
Americans think that tattooing the infant's penis is OK.

Those generally grow too. :secret:

Well maybe not in Scandistan... :(

You're doubting my penis? It has come to this?

I didn''t want to bring it up, but - the goat was laughing at you.

Why you watching 'em, perv?

Hey, it was on the news. "Swedish nuclear plant meltdown, unsatisfied and sarcastic goat found at scene".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2012, 04:20:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 04:18:08 PM

Fine.  Sports teams AND Prince.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on June 27, 2012, 03:22:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2012, 02:46:24 PM
Obviously, medical advice has moved on since Dr. Kellogg's time. Or are you seriously claiming that Americans in this century circumcise children to prevent them from wanking?
No, they do it(and doctors recommend it) because it's the status quo. Dr Kellogg was influential in the US medical field, not so much in the rest of the world.

And it's the status quo because it was felt to be condusive to good hygene.

The argument that the practice had to do with anti-wanking is on the same lines as the argument that anti-drug legislation in Canada "really" had to do with racism. A historical curiousity in that the practice was pushed by influential early 20th century figures for bizarre reason "A" (anti-wanking, racism) but very obviously that isn't why people *kept* the practice going - that would be reason "B" (hygene and perceived addiction harms, respectively). 

In any event, the notion that NA circumcision was based on "religion" is clearly nonsense. Kellogg himself was drummed out of the Seventh-Day Adventists for being, well, a pantheist. In any event, the idea that wanking was bad for you was not a *moral* notion based on religion, but a (crackpot) *medical* notion based on the alleged harms it would do. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision#Non-religious_circumcision
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

You fuckers notice I have been sane enough not to comment on anything.

BTW, as I've gotten older, I've been liking Prince more.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

I knew it.
It was just a matter of time for the little Adolfs to come out of the nazi closet.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2012, 05:10:06 PM
You fuckers notice I have been sane enough not to comment on anything.

Sane or drugged out?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 27, 2012, 05:10:06 PM
BTW, as I've gotten older, I've been liking Prince more.

And who wouldn't?*  Man's a genius.

*Other than Japanese teenyboppers, who are still locked into the Wacko Jacko camp.  For whatever reason.

garbon

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 11:16:48 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 11:13:44 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 27, 2012, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 27, 2012, 08:37:30 AM
There is no health benefit you can get from circumcision (apart from treatment of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin)) that you cannot also get from keeping it clean and practicing safe sex. 

Because in general males are very good about keeping clean and practicing safe sex.

Yes and? If we had some doctors here they would tell us that surgery is always the last option when behavior can make it redundant.

If such measures are having noted positive effects vs. those not receiving surgery then clearly there is some need.

Besides, why does a standard cosmetic procedure need justification?

Consent.

Jesus Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)