Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the correct spelling?

Judgment
Judgement
Both
Depends - explain below, please

Tamas

Brazen

I'm torn. I favour judgement, but my go-to grammar book (Fowler's) says nay. Let me see what the BBC does...

It agrees with me, so that's what I'll go with.

Shakespeare does not use the extra e.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2012, 12:48:20 AM
If a place cannot tell the difference between a principle and a principal then it's probably not a place where you want to be working.

The existence of HR departments baffles me.  In a country with something like a 20% real unemployment rate, they still have jobs.

They should all be replaced by J.D.s.

Not LL.B.s though.  Those guys are tards, of the sort you expect spell "judgment" with an "e."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2012, 04:31:27 AM

The existence of HR departments baffles me.  In a country with something like a 20% real unemployment rate, they still have jobs.
they're the ones that hire, of course they still ahve jobs :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2012, 03:41:27 AM
:hmm:

vs.

:secret: Easy enough:

UK spelling (Zone 2 dvd)

vs

US spelling (Zone 1 dvd)

:P

Eddie Teach

Those guys are tards, of the sort you expect spell "judgment" with an "e."

:P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

You can place the blame squarely on the Brits for this one.

mongers

I'm conflicted, posting this via Firefox tells me either is will do, via Opera, only judgement is correct.    :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2012, 11:05:54 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 21, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
Barrister is stupid and should feel bad.  And my degree is a doctorate, while he just has two bachelor's degrees...

What's important is not the level, but the subject. You can take a PhD in, say, history any day - my bachelor's of law is better. -_-

:lol:

Barrister

If a place cannot tell the difference between a principle and a principal then it's probably not a place where you want to be working.

Not LL.B.s though.  Those guys are tards, of the sort you expect spell "judgment" with an "e."

So you want to be the one who has to worry about Revenue Canada/IRS forms, about ensuring references are checked and pensions paperwork is filled out completely?  :hmm:

I've butted heads with HR too, but at the end of the day they deal with shit I have no interest in touching.

And now that the LL.B. has effectively disappeared :( ironically it will become all the more valuable by its scarcity.  Obi-Wan has nothing on the value of a Canadian LL.B. in a few years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2012, 11:30:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 11:19:28 PM
Both are correct, but I always went with 'judgment' because it looks wrong to some people and occasionally someone will try to correct it.

Which is why, no matter how much you want to, you can't use "theatre", "endeavour" or any number of appropriate words from the Queen's English.  ZOMG YOU SPELLED THEATER WRONG

You'll get a kick out of this:  I was filling out an online application not too long ago, and one question had "fundamental principals of such and such" instead of "fundamental principles of such and such";  I was so torn...should I use the correct "principles" and make the HR tard look dumb--or even worse, look wrong to them while being right--or do I stick with "principals" and possibly get gigged for misuse from somebody who knows the difference, and look like a moron?

After about 20 minutes, I decided to use "concepts".  Fuck it.

Reminds me a lot of high school, in which case I risked getting the question "wrong" for the opportunity to call out the stupid teacher.

In a job-hunting scenario, it's different of course.  I'd almost think the "principal/le" thing was an elaborate trick were it not for the fact that HR people are too dumb to pull it off.  I think you made the right call.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Well someone has to pay attention to those boring regulations that no one cares about.

That said, one of my former co-workers just joined a competitor that only has part-time HR staff.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.