Started by merithyn, June 21, 2012, 10:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the correct spelling?

Judgment
Judgement
Both
Depends - explain below, please

merithyn

Max and I are in disagreement over the spelling of the above word. So, as any intelligent married couple will do, we'll leave it to Languish to decide who is correct.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

Monoriu

Barrister

It is obviously judgement and anyone who thinks different is stupid and should feel bad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Barrister is stupid and should feel bad.  And my degree is a doctorate, while he just has two bachelor's degrees...

...but that having been said, I write judgement as well but I don't get hung up on it.

jimmy olsen

I almost always vehemently argue for the American spelling, but I can't do it this time.

Judgement all the way!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on June 21, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
Barrister is stupid and should feel bad.  And my degree is a doctorate, while he just has two bachelor's degrees...

What's important is not the level, but the subject. You can take a PhD in, say, history any day - my bachelor's of law is better. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on June 21, 2012, 10:32:15 PM
Max and I are in disagreement over the spelling of the above word. So, as any intelligent married couple will do, we'll leave it to Languish to decide who is correct.

Are you an American or not, dammit? Then you already know the answer.

derspiess

Both are correct, but I always went with 'judgment' because it looks wrong to some people and occasionally someone will try to correct it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 11:19:28 PM
Both are correct, but I always went with 'judgment' because it looks wrong to some people and occasionally someone will try to correct it.

Which is why, no matter how much you want to, you can't use "theatre", "endeavour" or any number of appropriate words from the Queen's English.  ZOMG YOU SPELLED THEATER WRONG

You'll get a kick out of this:  I was filling out an online application not too long ago, and one question had "fundamental principals of such and such" instead of "fundamental principles of such and such";  I was so torn...should I use the correct "principles" and make the HR tard look dumb--or even worse, look wrong to them while being right--or do I stick with "principals" and possibly get gigged for misuse from somebody who knows the difference, and look like a moron?

After about 20 minutes, I decided to use "concepts".  Fuck it.

sbr

The Brain

If a place cannot tell the difference between a principle and a principal then it's probably not a place where you want to be working.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Judgement.  Didn't know anyone used judgment.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 21, 2012, 10:51:40 PM
I almost always vehemently argue for the American spelling, but I can't do it this time.

Judgement all the way!

I'd probably use judgment just to be "right" but I agree judgement looks better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.