For those with central air (we salute you)... What do you set it at?

Started by Capetan Mihali, June 19, 2012, 10:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

I don't have central air but I use one or two window units. I bought two new window A/C units last year. One for my bedroom and one for the kitchen. I set them for 70-72 cooling, and that's usually fine. I don't need real cold.  The bedroom unit works well in a relatively small room. Once it hits the temp it shuts down, and comes on briefly to check temps. If needed it will kick on. So after a while it hardly comes on at all as the room stays cool enough.

I'm usually fine elsewhere in the house. I get used to the warmth and it's not a problem. I put one in the kitchen to keep it cool while cooking. My den remains nice enough even in hot weather. The ceiling fan is enough.

DontSayBanana

We've got it set around 70, and are currently enjoying the delicious tears of those not endowed with AC today (it's 88 already, and it's supposed to hit 97 today).
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Supposed to dip back down to highs of the mid-80s here tomorrow thru the weekend.  Today's high of 94 was unacceptable :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2012, 03:30:50 PM
Supposed to dip back down to highs of the mid-80s here tomorrow thru the weekend.  Today's high of 94 was unacceptable :angry:
I don't mind this shit anymore since all of our summers are like this.  I don't start getting angry until the mercury tops 100.*

*Euros: That's 100 Fahrenheit, not Celsius, in case you were wondering. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

I think I jinxed things with this thread.  :(  Today I can't get the temperature below 81, and the thermostat (or control pad) keeps setting it at 85 if I leave it alone.  :huh:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

I turn it on to cool the apartment down if it's hot and humid when I get back from work. Once it's cooled a bit inside, I turn it off and use a fan.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

FunkMonk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2012, 11:06:59 AM
Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2012, 10:56:53 AM
I keep it at 73 all day and night.

Do your comrades-in-arms know you can't take the heat? :(

When I was in That Bad Place Overseas we'd crank that baby down to 66 degrees all day every day. It was the greatest feeling in the world to walk inside after a day out in 120 degrees in body armor.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2012, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2012, 11:06:59 AM
Quote from: Siege on June 24, 2012, 10:56:53 AM
I keep it at 73 all day and night.

Do your comrades-in-arms know you can't take the heat? :(

When I was in That Bad Place Overseas we'd crank that baby down to 66 degrees all day every day. It was the greatest feeling in the world to walk inside after a day out in 120 degrees in body armor.

USA! USA! USA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 24, 2012, 12:08:25 PM

On balls assed hot nights, when it was still 90 with 90% humidity at 1am, I would stop by the morgue and spend my lunch break there.  The occupants didn't mind.

Capetan Mihali

Luxurious central air has failed me.  :(  It will not get below 88 in here.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DontSayBanana

With all the storms hitting the northeast US, we lost power for most of a day, and I was forced to rely on the insulation of the house to keep it cool.  Surprisingly, it didn't get very hot.
Experience bij!