For those with central air (we salute you)... What do you set it at?

Started by Capetan Mihali, June 19, 2012, 10:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I have pretty good guideposts for heating during the winter (66-68 when I'm home, don't turn it down overnight, and 60 when I leave the house).  But I've never lived in a place with central AC before and I feel a little lost with the temps.  :wacko:

I'm keeping it around 78 or 79 when I'm home, and turning it up to 83 or 84 when I leave for the day.  Am I doing it right?  What do the central air experts advise?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadBurgerMaker

I keep it between 75 and 78 during the day and about 70 at night.  There is no winter here.

derspiess

78 or 79??  Bleh.

I keep mine at 72 for cooling during the summer-- which can actually feel a bit warm to me if I'm doing a lot around the house.  If electricity were free, I'd set it somewhere in the 60s.  I set it at 68 for heat in the winter & would probably go lower if it weren't for the wife & kids.

I don't have it set to change when I leave the house.  It's pretty efficient for heating and cooling and the company that installed it advised not to do that unless I'm going to be gone for more than a day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

You must be doing it right Capetan because that is basically what I do too.  AC is set for 78, it goes up to about 82 on weekdays when no one is here.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 19, 2012, 10:12:42 PM
I keep it between 75 and 78 during the day and about 70 at night.  There is no winter here.

It visits there once in a while...I still remember the MLK day ice storm. 

jimmy olsen

Set the AC at 24C (75.2F) when I'm there, turn it off when I leave.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

I think it's better to leave it at one temp and not make big adjustments like that. Anyway, 72F.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 10:50:41 PM
It visits there once in a while...I still remember the MLK day ice storm.

Just stops by for a week or so usually.  Not really enough to adjust temp gauges and such. 

From ~Nov - ~Feb, I'll generally just keep everything turned off unless it gets really frosty.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

People who keep the AC at 72 and don't go out in the heat for more than a few minutes aren't giving their bodies the opportunity to acclimate to the hotter temperatures. That's fine if you don't mind the higher bills, but if you're comfortable at 78 or 80 I'd say leave it there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

If it's over 82 degrees outside, I'm hanging meat in this motherfucker.

I don't run the central heat during the winter;  between my fireplace and my Ray Lewis(tm) snuggee, it's a push.

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 19, 2012, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 19, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
I could use central air today.
Ick it's hot for Alaska.

Up into the 60s?  :P

Timmay's weather.com was off, hit 72 here in Anchorage, 80's in Squarebanks.

Heh and it just sucks at night as my house is now sitting here with 16 hours of sun on it warming it up over the whole day.
Not lounging outside as frigging mosquitoes are out in force, learned that the hard way yesterday.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Hell, the last summer I was there, I was sooo tempted to buy one of those portable AC units at Costco.