News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Why is so hard to name a baby?
Why are jewish names so diferent here in the States?
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Then I wanted Caleb, and appearenly it sounds weird in englese. 
I don't know, man. How the hell did Ariel bacome a female name?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Caleb is fine.  Don't name him something stupid like "Rain", or "Myke"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

You can thank The Little Mermaid.

caleb is unusual but still masculine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

I'm giving all my sons Old Testament names.  Starting with Ishmael. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

JonasSalk

I know a few Calebs, but I live in Bible country. It's a normal name in the South. Not sure about the rest of the country.
Yuman

Ed Anger

QuoteI want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.

1) Congrats on the kid.

2) Deal with it. I wanted Nimrod.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2012, 06:49:30 PM
I'm giving all my sons Old Testament names.  Starting with Ishmael.

my son has a New Testament name. :showoff:

Edit: stupid iPad autocorrect. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

And mine is named after the Archangel Michael, asskicker extraordinaire.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
Why is so hard to name a baby?
Why are jewish names so diferent here in the States?
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Then I wanted Caleb, and appearenly it sounds weird in englese. 
I don't know, man. How the hell did Ariel bacome a female name?

Caleb sounds Amish.
Why not Jesus?  No, wait, that sounds ok only in spanish. ;)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Name him a nice manly name. Like Hilario

:P I'd never name my son that, but for some reason I feel compelled for my name to live on

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

How do you pronounced Caleb in Hebrew? Maybe he thinks the English pronunciation sounds weird.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

CountDeMoney

You really ought to let the father have the option of naming the kid, Siege.

I'm sure it won't be De'Shaun or anything.

Caliga

I have only known one Jew named Ariel, and it was a girl. :)

My college girlfriend had a female cousin named Ariel, too, come to think of it.

I have known many male American Jews and following is as complete a list of their first and middle names as I can remember:

Aaron, Alan, Andrew, Avram, Bradley, Bruce, Charles, Colin, David, Daniel, Daryl, Eric, Evan, Everett, Ian, Ira, Jason, Jerome, Jordan, Joshua, Lee, Michael, Naum, Paul, Richard, Robert, Ryan, Saul, Scott, Sheldon, Stephen, Steven, Terry

As you can see Seigey *most* of these names are fairly typical 'American' names with some obvious exceptions (e.g. Avram, Naum).  Alot of them I've seen repeatedly as well.. have known like 5 or 6 Jews named 'David' and 'Steph/ven' both.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on May 21, 2012, 06:58:55 PM
Caleb sounds Amish.
Why not Jesus?  No, wait, that sounds ok only in spanish. ;)
Never known an Amishman named Caleb, and none of my ancestors were named that either.  Try Jacob.... it seems like half of the male Amish dudes out there are named Jacob Zook. :cool:

edit: Hee, I just checked and both my great-great-great-great grandfather and great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather were named Jacob Zug (which is a variation of 'Zook'),
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

I knew a Jewish guy named Adolf. I think his parents must have hated him right from birth :lol: