News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My God, what hath Facebook wrought?

Started by CountDeMoney, March 28, 2012, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2012, 01:07:42 AM
I think fatness definitely likes company.  If everyone around you is a bloated whale, then it almost becomes normal to be a bloated whale yourself.  Given that, I'm not sure that it's such a bad thing for Facebook to make people self-conscious about their inflated selves.
Agreed. Prior to Facebook, researchers found that people's self-image was actually skinnier than in reality. Older people also saw themselves as when they looked 10 years younger or more, especially a problem for women as they age.

11B4V

Quote from: Phillip V on March 29, 2012, 04:58:19 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2012, 01:07:42 AM
I think fatness definitely likes company.  If everyone around you is a bloated whale, then it almost becomes normal to be a bloated whale yourself.  Given that, I'm not sure that it's such a bad thing for Facebook to make people self-conscious about their inflated selves.
Agreed. Prior to Facebook, researchers found that people's self-image was actually skinnier than in reality. Older people also saw themselves as when they looked 10 years younger or more, especially a problem for women as they age.

Once past 45 or so, as long as a dude keeps himself in decent shape, he is far more marketable than a female at the same age.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

:huh:

This sounds ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 07:45:28 AM

This sounds ridiculous.

Not really, at least the latter part:  you wouldn't believe the frigging battles women had put me through trying to get them to update their outdated ID badge photos.  Jesus H. Christ, it was a war every motherfucking day. 

SORRY LADY THIS ISNT 1997 ANYMORE THREE KIDS AND 10 YEARS HAVENT BEEN THAT GOOD TO YOU

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2012, 07:55:47 AM

This sounds ridiculous.

Not really, at least the latter part:  you wouldn't believe the frigging battles women had put me through trying to get them to update their outdated ID badge photos.  Jesus H. Christ, it was a war every motherfucking day. 

SORRY LADY THIS ISNT 1997 ANYMORE THREE KIDS AND 10 YEARS HAVENT BEEN THAT GOOD TO YOU

Which says nothing that Facebook caused us to fundamentally change our self-perceptions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 07:58:24 AM

This sounds ridiculous.

Which says nothing that Facebook caused us to fundamentally change our self-perceptions.

I didn't mention Facebook, you shrilly queen.  Jeez.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2012, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2012, 07:58:24 AM

This sounds ridiculous.

I didn't mention Facebook, you shrilly queen.  Jeez.

That's the part I was calling silly and hence why I bolded it. :contract: