News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My God, what hath Facebook wrought?

Started by CountDeMoney, March 28, 2012, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteFacebook users may develop poor body image

Facebook may be focusing users too much on their body weight and image, according to a new survey from the Center for Eating Disorders at Sheppard Pratt.

The mental health institution took a look at the social media outlet and found 75 percent of Facebook users were unhappy with their bodies, and 51 percent said Facebook makes them more conscious of their bodies and weight.

Researchers cited comments like: "l look so fat in that photo – untag me," "You look so skinny, I could never wear those jeans!" "Did you see how much weight Greg gained?" "Totally pigged out today – gotta start that diet," "Just ran 10 miles," "I need to hit the gym," "You don't even look like you had a baby!"

Now, those researchers are encouraging user to be mindful of their use of the site and the impacts it has on them.

"Facebook is making it easier for people to spend more time and energy criticizing their own bodies and wishing they looked like someone else," said Dr. Harry Brandt, director of the Sheppard Pratt center, in a statement. "In this age of modern technology and constant access to smart phones and the Internet, it's becoming increasingly difficult for people to remove themselves from images and other triggers that promote negative body image, low self-esteem and may ultimately contribute to eating disorders."

The center says teens and adults alike are affected by the negative impacts including shaming, body comparisons and self-criticism on Facebook. The survey of 600 users were aged 16 to 40.

The researchers found that because users spend so much time on Facebook, they spend a lot of time analyzing their bodies. The researchers found:

+People spend a lot of time on Facebook and in doing so, spend a lot of time analyzing their bodies and the bodies of others.
+Facebook appears to be fueling a "camera ready" mentality among the general public.
+Advances in Facebook technology such as Timeline, are making it easier for people to track body and weight changes.+People are not happy with their bodies and are engaging in dangerous behaviors in connection with those feelings.

"As people spend more time thinking about what's wrong with their bodies, less time is spent on the positive realm and engaging in life in meaningful and fulfilling ways," said Dr. Steven Crawford, the center's associate director, in a statement. "When people become more concerned with the image they project online and less concerned with holistic markers of health in real life, their body image may suffer and they may even turn, or return, to harmful fad diets or dangerous weight-control behaviors. We hope the results of this survey encourage people to really look at how their online behavior affects their outlook, and we caution them against being overly critical of their own bodies or other people's bodies while on Facebook and other social networking sites."

derspiess

I always wondered-- should fat people be comfortable with their body image?  Is that really healthy??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2012, 08:37:56 PM
I always wondered-- should fat people be comfortable with their body image?  Is that really healthy??

We need to be firm but fair with them.  Just like high school.

Admiral Yi

It's like the Laffer Curve.  They should be ridden, but not too hard.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2012, 08:40:36 PM
They should be ridden, but not too hard.

Or where your friends can see you.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 08:39:00 PM

We need to be firm but fair with them.  Just like high school.

:weep:

Grey Fox

I hate to be the voice of reason but it's not the fat people. It's the none fat people starting to think they are fat.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I'm still skeptical of research conducted using social media. Online surveys are bad enough. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

You must be bored. At first I thought this was a Tim thread. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

There's a thing going around on facebook right now "Most beautiful teen", encouraging teenagers to post pictures of themselves and get "likes". Looks like there was a fair amount of stuff for grallon to like. If Siegy's predilection for underage girls tended towards realistic rather than airbrushed fantasy images he might like it too.

Eddie Teach

Why would anyone be on the internet looking for realistic images?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2012, 08:56:40 PM
I hate to be the voice of reason but it's not the fat people. It's the none fat people starting to think they are fat.

I'm fat.  And I know I'm fat.  I have long since ceased to care though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2012, 12:05:40 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

I'm fat.  And I know I'm fat.  I have long since ceased to care though.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

I think fatness definitely likes company.  If everyone around you is a bloated whale, then it almost becomes normal to be a bloated whale yourself.  Given that, I'm not sure that it's such a bad thing for Facebook to make people self-conscious about their inflated selves.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on March 29, 2012, 01:07:42 AM
I think fatness definitely likes company.  If everyone around you is a bloated whale, then it almost becomes normal to be a bloated whale yourself.  Given that, I'm not sure that it's such a bad thing for Facebook to make people self-conscious about their inflated selves.

Good point.