Yes
22 (66.7%)
No
2 (6.1%)
You should mount Jaron
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Alexandru H.

:huh: Steering horses in M&B is quite easy and fulfilling. And those 4 keys do their jobs very well.

Lucidor

Solmyr

I never found steering your horse difficult in M&B. On the other hand, horses aren't motorcycles, it adds to the realism that you cannot control them precisely like robots.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 09:12:03 PM
Okay, got the game, and immediately ran into a big problem:  the mounted movement uses the WASD system for horse heading, as in Oblivion (and ME2 for that matter).  To me, this is just Massive Oversteer Movement - tolerable in ME2 because you really didn't need precise steering and could wiggle a bit to get where you needed, but it made me walk in Oblivion.  Obviously, it is a non-starter for this game as well.

So, what I need is either (1) a mod where mounted warriors just don't factor (as in, say, Vikings or the like) or else a mod where the horse follows the mouse rather than being stered/oversteered by the A and D keys.  Saying "just lean to steer with A and D" doesn't help - I just spent 30 minutes trying, and it is as big a non-go as always.  Maybe I lack the fine motor skills, or whatever, but as soon as I concentrate on anything but steering, steering goes to hell.

Any ideas?
There are certainly quite a few mods which cut out mounted troops, I find them to be awful though- it takes forever to run across the battleground on foot to reach the enemy.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

You could also try to make your person a footman type. You do miss a big part of the game, but it is an option.

You could just have your troops charge in while you wait.

Or you could play as a merchant prince, or a skilled tactician and not get your hands dirty at all. I think many would say its not a fun way to play but with the right mindset it can be very challenging.

Just remember that you need to tackle anyone with a crossbow right away.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tamas

Quote from: Jaron on February 28, 2010, 01:02:55 PM

Just remember that you need to tackle anyone with a crossbow right away.

:lol:

Caliga

Ok, so is it possible to play this game as a lone bandit robbing defenseless people?  Cause that's what I would like to do. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2010, 03:53:28 PM
Ok, so is it possible to play this game as a lone bandit robbing defenseless people?  Cause that's what I would like to do. :)

Yes, but it will get boring very fast I'd think.

And I never have had any problem with horse steering.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2010, 03:53:28 PM

You may want to check out the Wild West mod, that might be up your alley.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

I've found that in vanilla it's really not possible to do that.  You can make a career out of just killing brigands, raiders, and bandits, but if you start attacking farmers moving along the roads the lords dispatch large forces to arrest/kill you.  No way you can fight those off without any followers.

I took three peasant women prisoner one time but there didn't seem to be any way to... have my way with them. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Starting to get the hang of it, but I am not used to playing a game with no automatic save points, so about two hours of effort went out the window when someone ganked me with an arrow.

Ugly game (about on a part with unmodded Morrowind) but I can see that the campaign element could be quite addictive.

I assume that, over the course of the game, these blank doorways in castles and things start becoming actual doors into places?  If not, then I don't see the point of even having castle interiors.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

Being ganked with an arrow isn't game over, you can continue pretty much indefinitely since you never die.

Some castle doors lead to places (usually the castle hall or dungeon), mostly just the exterior is used for siege battles.

Iormlund

I think what keeps me coming back is mostly trying new mods from time to time.

Anyway, on the topic of infantry characters ...

Quote from: Iormlund on November 01, 2009, 08:16:12 PM
I've never gone across the battlefield to start a battle. I usually wait till the enemy comes to me. Being on foot can get silly if you have absolutely no cavalry to mop up a fleeing enemy, though. But I do have a few mounted men for that eventuality.

The thing is, heavy cavalry is so powerful it kind of kills the fun. So I wanted to try an infantry-dominated army. I've restarted now (which I do a lot). I'm going for a similar army, but based on Rhodoks. Tons of crossbows supported by a spear-wall. Halberdiers for the punch. And rescued peasants trained up to mercenary sergeants for the versatility (good with both crossbows and hand to hand weapons).
I've ditched the companion heavy cavalry. I've got usually less than half a dozen light cavalry at hand.

Main change though is I'm also on foot, with very high athletics and path finding and light armor (except on sieges).

I tend to wait till the last moment before giving the order to fire, which minimizes the amount of enemies on the loose I have to pursuit. Against lords I wait for the inevitable cavalry charge, which will never get past the spear-wall. Then I unleash the heavy infantry.
I'm fighting against Rhodoks, having conquered the Veluca region. It's a bit tricky because they are capable to tearing me to pieces with their crossbows and arbalests and being on foot I cannot run circles around them, so I tend to deploy somewhere that allows me to charge their infantry with mine with minimal exposure.

Mind you this only works if the mod you are playing has pikes or the brace spear script. Otherwise you're in for a world of hurt once heavy cavalry comes knocking at your door. :ph34r:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on March 01, 2010, 06:45:52 AM
I took three peasant women prisoner one time but there didn't seem to be any way to... have my way with them. :(

Adults only mod, Wedding Dance.  Has topless warrior nuns on horseback

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1289