Yes
22 (66.7%)
No
2 (6.1%)
You should mount Jaron
9 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Caliga

Last night I managed to nail a guy in the head with my bow from horseback (which is a first for me).  I also killed two bandits with my two handed axe, one right after the other.  I am: getting better.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Horse archery is actually overpowered, if your opponent doesn't also have horse archers you are nearly untouchable. That said, it's also insanely fun (my best battles were about 100 of my Khergits vs a similar number of steppe bandits... chaos!)

Syt

Horse archery is also an almost guaranteed win in the arena.

Though stepping out of a lancer's way just in time to chop his horse down with a two hander is also fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2010, 12:17:43 PM

Though stepping out of a lancer's way just in time to chop his horse down with a two hander is also fun.

I am so bad at horse archery it is not funny.  I had one tournament were every event was horse archery, I quickly learned that I couldn't hit anyone so I rode around in circles until everyone was either dead or out of arrows.  I then rode up and shot the remaining people point-blank in the face, as they had no way to defend themselves.  :ph34r:

Maximus

I downloaded and tried this out last night. Mounted archery is a freaking blast. I won the tourney in the Khirgit capital whatever it's called. I think I might be on the easy setting though, my hits seem to do a lot more  damage than theirs. Still, pretty fun even unmodded. I think I may buy it. Are the mods listed earlier good with the latest patch?

Jaron

Quote from: sbr on March 03, 2010, 12:20:08 PM

I am so bad at horse archery it is not funny.  I had one tournament were every event was horse archery, I quickly learned that I couldn't hit anyone so I rode around in circles until everyone was either dead or out of arrows.  I then rode up and shot the remaining people point-blank in the face, as they had no way to defend themselves.  :ph34r:

Damn, that's pure gangsta  :showoff:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Maximus

There seems to be a bug where if they run out of ammo they just stand there unless they're on foot. I was down to myself against 2 guys in one battle. One of them was unhorsed, all of us were out of ammo. I killed the guy on foot by repeatedly running him down. Then I dismounted, punched the other guy's horse to death, remounted and ran him down too.

Josquius

Damn it, trying to get wedding dance to try it out but my connection won't stay up for the whole 3 hours it takes to download <_<
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Maximus on March 03, 2010, 02:40:30 PM
There seems to be a bug where if they run out of ammo they just stand there unless they're on foot. I was down to myself against 2 guys in one battle. One of them was unhorsed, all of us were out of ammo. I killed the guy on foot by repeatedly running him down. Then I dismounted, punched the other guy's horse to death, remounted and ran him down too.

:lmfao:

I forgot about running them down with your horse, as I was running in circles I would occasionally try and run someone over myself.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2010, 02:54:21 PM
Damn it, trying to get wedding dance to try it out but my connection won't stay up for the whole 3 hours it takes to download <_<

I had to use Getright to download it.  The server was incredibly slow and kept cutting me off. 

Incidentally I'm having trouble getting the mod quests to start.  There are supposed to be scouts you can hire that will locate stuff as you wander around the map but I haven't seen any.

HisMajestyBOB

I once did something like that in a tournament - I was armed with those long tourney lances, but had gotten unhorsed. I timed my attack perfectly as the last guy came charging at me, hitting him with the tip of my lance and knocking him out.  :cool:

Granted, this was with a pretty high level character that specialized in lances.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tonitrus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 03, 2010, 05:04:55 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2010, 02:54:21 PM

I had to use Getright to download it.  The server was incredibly slow and kept cutting me off. 

Incidentally I'm having trouble getting the mod quests to start.  There are supposed to be scouts you can hire that will locate stuff as you wander around the map but I haven't seen any.

You find the "hidden" stuff without them, but they help a lot.  They're found for hire in taverns, like other mercs, but are kinda uncommon.

Iormlund

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 03, 2010, 02:14:19 AM
I've never bothered with horse archery.  Don't like that it takes up two spots in inventory and it seems difficult to use.  I go with lance, sword, shield, and throwing spears to take care of any cavalry that I'm having problems catching.

A good bowman will kill a lot faster than any other character. It is great for sieges as well. My fav combination is footman with bow, arrows, shield and mace/morningstar. When you are a rider and you lose your horse things can get nasty as you get swarmed by enemy infantry. A dedicated footman with high athletics can kite and kill at pleasure. Downside is you can't lure the enemy archers into shooting you nor ride them down with a charge.

DisturbedPervert

Don't lose your horse. 

The lance is the best, most overpowered weapon in the game.  Couched lance damage destroys everything in one hit.  I can take out dozens of people on foot alone if I'm patient and careful.  I only wish my cavalry were as good and plowed through infantry instead of getting stuck in them hacking away with their sword.

Cerr

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 05, 2010, 08:37:03 AM
Don't lose your horse. 

The lance is the best, most overpowered weapon in the game.  Couched lance damage destroys everything in one hit.  I can take out dozens of people on foot alone if I'm patient and careful.  I only wish my cavalry were as good and plowed through infantry instead of getting stuck in them hacking away with their sword.
I've never bothered much with polearms. I usually use a long sword and if I charge into a group of infantry I can kill a few of them in one or two swings. Can you kill multiple people at once with the lance?