News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter

Started by ulmont, March 13, 2012, 03:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

New patch available: between 1.5 and 1.8 GB download. Slow installation again, for the GOG people at least but Steam can be troublesome as well.

Pedrito

I've decided to restart from scratch, because I've chosen the wrong skills for my rangers and I'm in need of a more balanced, universal squad.

DO you use custom or premade characters?
I'm thinking about using custom chars, everyone with a different set of 6-7 skills, and trying to maximize them - the complete set is 29 skills, so I'm leaving behind some of them.
The tentative list should be:

[spoiler]Peter Perfect: Energy Weapons, Barter, Kiss Ass, Smart Ass, Hard Ass, Leadership (7 skills)
Magilla Gorilla: Brawl, Heavy Weapons, Mech Repair, Animal, Brute Force, Outdoorsman, Weaponsmithing (7 skills)
Quick Draw McGraw: Submachine Guns, Medic, Surgeon, Assault Weapons, CS, Toaster Repair (6 skills)
Snagglepuss: Sniper, Shotguns, Alarm disarming, Demolitions, Lockpick, Safecracking, Perception (7 skills)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]leaving behind Bladed weapons, Blunt weapons, and Handguns.[/spoiler]

L.

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Pedrito on October 17, 2014, 09:18:10 AM
I've decided to restart from scratch, because I've chosen the wrong skills for my rangers and I'm in need of a more balanced, universal squad.

DO you use custom or premade characters?
I'm thinking about using custom chars, everyone with a different set of 6-7 skills, and trying to maximize them - the complete set is 29 skills, so I'm leaving behind some of them.
The tentative list should be:

[spoiler]Peter Perfect: Energy Weapons, Barter, Kiss Ass, Smart Ass, Hard Ass, Leadership (7 skills)
Magilla Gorilla: Brawl, Heavy Weapons, Mech Repair, Animal, Brute Force, Outdoorsman, Weaponsmithing (7 skills)
Quick Draw McGraw: Submachine Guns, Medic, Surgeon, Assault Weapons, CS, Toaster Repair (6 skills)
Snagglepuss: Sniper, Shotguns, Alarm disarming, Demolitions, Lockpick, Safecracking, Perception (7 skills)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]leaving behind Bladed weapons, Blunt weapons, and Handguns.[/spoiler]

L.

I use premade characters to customise them ;)

You can start with only one weapon skill in the beginning, even for the sniper. The others can protect him in the beginning. 6 or 7 skills in the beginning seems too much, maybe 3 or 4 at best (one being weapons).
Try to give max coordination to people dealing with lockpicking, safecracking, mech repair and weaponsmithing possibly. Attribute skills matter as well. Intelligence 8 will give 4 skill points per level. It's also good for action points (very important). Try to get a charismatic character, it will be useful later on for leadership.
Since you start over, you known you can get [spoiler]some skills by Angela Deth[/spoiler] so you can wait a bit more. Toaster repair can wait but can make for an enjoyable playthrough.

Tonitrus

So far, except in a few rare cases, I've found energy weapons to be almost consistently underpowered/useless.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2014, 08:34:00 PM
So far, except in a few rare cases, I've found energy weapons to be almost consistently underpowered/useless.

They only start to be useful by the second half of the game against heavily armoured opponents.

Tonitrus

Though I think my biggest problem with combat is that in areas where combat is almost certain, you can kinda see the map set up in such a way with places to use cover, and facilitate a fun firefight, except that the AI usually just bum rushes you, and has plenty of movement to do so...so most fights seem to very quickly become a point-blank slugfest.  And all that terrain/cover is mostly a waste and never used.

MadImmortalMan

Quite liking this so far. I found one of those rocket launcher things in a toaster. It made a nice opening salvo at the prison when I saw seven or eight dudes standing in a clump having a conversation.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Titan Valley is shit. What a buggy pile of nonsense.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Agreed.  It felt like the most "unfinished" zone in the game so far.

Though I thought it was more of a flaw in the design/layout.

Duque de Bragança

Titan Valley has not been as buggy as L.A, though they are supposed to be patched by now. Even a hot fix after big patch for Hollywood. Apply before starting quests if it's not too late. Steam auto-updates allegedly but if you play offline...

Tonitrus

My problem with the parts of LA I played before restarting...[spoiler]was that it seemed to like throwing random side quests at you while you're busily engaged in a major quest point...making you later forget what the hell the side quest was and where to go/do for it.  :P[/spoiler]

Valmy

I am not going to be able to start playing this game until after 5PM December 15th.  Hopefully they will have ironed out the bugs by then.  I am glad Toni is still playing it, I hope that means it is as good as advertised.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Not really.

It has a "world map", which you can wander around in/meet random raiders/animals, and on that map are locations that you "enter", but pretty much all of them are quest-driven/drivers.

It is primarily an a linear, story-driven RPG with a medium leash of control on where you go and what you do (e.g. side quests and such).  You play up the good guys, or go around and be a butcher, though probably not much success with the latter (though I haven't tried that out much yet).

If you want to go old-school for comparisons (and I would have to, as I am a not a huge RPG-er), it is certainly not as much of an open world as, say, the Ultima RPG series.   

Tonitrus

Also, for those that care...when you're exploring the west of the map, and get the radio comms with a guy speaking in
"slavic" (it's Russian)...[spoiler]it is just talking about being unable to purchase radiation suits, the lady tells him she can probably get some, and he talks about not letting the Rangers know what they're up to.  Nothing really useful/critical from it. [/spoiler]