NFL Offseason 2012: Because contract negotiations are part of the excitement

Started by CountDeMoney, March 01, 2012, 01:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2012, 09:59:36 AM
We had two.  My brother stepped on the NFC endzone on our Super Bowl XII (Cowboys vs. Broncos) field and permanently dented it, but we kept using it-

LOL, that's the exact same one I had.  Christmas '78, I believe.

I used to listen to Colts home games on the radio in my room on Sundays--they were always blacked out due to attendance, go fig--set it up on my bed, and reenact the plays on it.  Good times.

Remember the cheesey-assed offensive plays & defensive formations they had in the manual?  None of them were based in reality and some of the offensive formations were clearly illegal.  So we made our own playbooks.

Dang, I remember it took forever to line your guys up for just one play that sometimes lasted .2 seconds.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

A friend of mine from college officiating just got hired as a replacement NFL official.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on July 12, 2012, 01:53:00 PM
A friend of mine from college officiating just got hired as a replacement NFL official.

Cool.  Hopefully we'll see him this fall in place of Hochuli or that rather inarticulate Jerome Boger.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2012, 03:22:22 PM
Cool.  Hopefully we'll see him this fall in place of Hochuli or that rather inarticulate Jerome Boger.
Hochuli isn't bad.  OK, he made a horrific mistake, but he's not Bill Leavy or Walt Coleman.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 08:33:06 AM
Oh, man.

Those of us over 40 will remember this.

Ahem I'm not over 40 like you and Ed Anger you old fogeys, and i remember it.
I had one with Steelers and Rams. :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

Thank Christ.  It's about fucking time.

QuoteDrew Brees and the New Orleans Saints agreed to a five-year contract worth $100 million on Friday, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, making the 33-year-old quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/07/drew_brees_new_orleans_saints_10.html

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on July 13, 2012, 12:48:13 PM
Thank Christ.  It's about fucking time.

QuoteDrew Brees and the New Orleans Saints agreed to a five-year contract worth $100 million on Friday, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, making the 33-year-old quarterback the highest-paid player in NFL history.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/07/drew_brees_new_orleans_saints_10.html
No kidding.  His negotiating position must have been strengthened by the suspension of everyone on the team that was any good or provided any level of leadership.  Without him, the Saints are instantly the Aints again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Well, with the state their defense is probably going to be in after the Commish drops the hammer, he should break more records this season than ever.  It'll look like a track meet.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:23:04 PM
Well, with the state their defense is probably going to be in after the Commish drops the hammer, he should break more records this season than ever.  It'll look like a track meet.
Are there more suspensions coming?  I thought that just the four guys and the co-ordinator got hammered.

Maybe he could suspend all the coaches and players, and have the team owner punched in the balls at the Hall of Fame Game halftime show.  Or maybe he could just fine everybody $500 and destroy all the evidence OH WAIT NOT THE PATRIOTS LOL.

ulmont

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 01:41:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2012, 01:23:04 PM
Are there more suspensions coming?  I thought that just the four guys and the co-ordinator got hammered.

Nah, it's done.  Jonathan Vilma for the season, Will Smith for 4 games, and the other 2 guys aren't on the team anymore.  Plus, Williams was already gone, Steve Spagnuolo took over, and they did some defensive free agent work.  Defense will probably be better than last year.

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on July 13, 2012, 02:05:46 PM
Nah, it's done.  Jonathan Vilma for the season, Will Smith for 4 games, and the other 2 guys aren't on the team anymore.  Plus, Williams was already gone, Steve Spagnuolo took over, and they did some defensive free agent work.  Defense will probably be better than last year.
Who did they add that will keep them from getting torched in the pass game?  Did they add a lockdown corner or an elite pass rush?

ulmont

Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 02:43:04 PM
Who did they add that will keep them from getting torched in the pass game?  Did they add a lockdown corner or an elite pass rush?

Pulled Curtis Lofton off of the Falcons, resigned Turk McBride (now healthy), and picked up Brodrick Bunkley from the Broncos.  Also got Akiem Hicks from the University of Regina and Corey White from Samford in the draft, although who knows if they'll pan out.

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on July 13, 2012, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 13, 2012, 02:43:04 PM
Pulled Curtis Lofton off of the Falcons, resigned Turk McBride (now healthy), and picked up Brodrick Bunkley from the Broncos.  Also got Akiem Hicks from the University of Regina and Corey White from Samford in the draft, although who knows if they'll pan out.
I remember thinking Bunkley did a good job clogging up the run, although they did a good job stopping the run last year.  I don't remember McBride, but hopefully he can bring it, especially with Smith missing time.  Lofton I like as a good all-round LB.  Still, Vilma's got big shoes to fill there, but if Vilma and Lofton are playing together next year, that'd be pretty impressive.  Unless this White kid turns out to be Ed Reed, I'm afraid for the Saints pass D.  Fortunately, Drew Brees is Superman.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
Hochuli isn't bad.  OK, he made a horrific mistake, but he's not Bill Leavy or Walt Coleman.

My problem with Hochuli that he's an extreme narcissist and seems to think the game is about him.  Refs like him need to be taken down a couple pegs.

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on July 13, 2012, 05:28:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
My problem with Hochuli that he's an extreme narcissist and seems to think the game is about him.  Refs like him need to be taken down a couple pegs.
I guess I could see that.  His arms have made him probably the most famous official in the NFL.