NFL Offseason 2012: Because contract negotiations are part of the excitement

Started by CountDeMoney, March 01, 2012, 01:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

RIP  :(

QuoteR.C. Owens, a longtime 49ers front office man and eight-year NFL wide receiver whose impressive leaping ability earned him the nickname ''Alley Oop'' and helped popularize the phrase, has died. He was 78.

The Niners, his team for the first of his five NFL seasons, announced Owens' death Monday. The team said he died Sunday and had been living in Manteca, about 75 miles east of San Francisco.

The 6-foot-3 Owens, a college basketball star at the College of Idaho, also played two seasons for the Baltimore Colts and his final year with the New York Giants in 1964. He had 206 career receptions for 3,285 yards and 22 touchdowns. He also ran for a score on his lone carry.

Owens was born on Nov. 12, 1933, in Shreveport, La.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

R.C. Owens was one of those rare guys that was a prototype at his position decades ahead of his time.

Edit:  I was just reading about him; I had no idea he an Elgin Baylor were basketball teammates at Idaho.   :o  Holy shit, that had to have been something to see.

CountDeMoney

Well, boo hoo.

QuotePittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall and nose tackle Casey Hampton reportedly will start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Both players are coming off major knee injuries and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he doesn't expect to have them at the start of the season.
Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Jan. 1 and Hampton sustained an ACL tear on Jan. 8.
"You've got to remember both of those injuries happened late in the year," Colbert said.

Placing them on the PUP list means that neither player would eligible to play until after the sixth game of the season.
Hampton is a five-time Pro Bowl selection with 350 tackles while Mendenhall has run for at least 928 yards the past three seasons.

katmai

I'm torn with the Yinzers drafting one of my favorite Huskies of past few years.
Want him to do well, but he is with Steelers fer christ  sakes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on June 18, 2012, 08:32:49 PM
I'm torn with the Yinzers drafting one of my favorite Huskies of past few years.
Want him to do well, but he is with Steelers fer christ  sakes.

Yup.  Should've been long gone by the time the Steelheads grabbed him.  Fuckers.

Neil

Mendenhall isn't really that big a deal.  Outside of maybe five guys, most running backs are replaceable, which contributes to their short shelf lives in the NFL.  Hampton, on the other hand, is a big deal.  A great nose tackle makes a lot of the stuff that the Steelers do on D easier.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2012, 07:49:59 PM
R.C. Owens was one of those rare guys that was a prototype at his position decades ahead of his time.

Edit:  I was just reading about him; I had no idea he an Elgin Baylor were basketball teammates at Idaho.   :o  Holy shit, that had to have been something to see.

Yeah, too young to have been around when they played but being a fan of history of Niners  made me a fan of R.C. and the 50's teams with Y.A. and the rest of the million dollar backfield. (John Henry Johnson, Hugh McElhenny, and Joe Perry)

MadBurgerMaker

The Texans haven't been up to a whole lot lately from what I've seen, although I admit I haven't been keeping track all that much.  The offseason is terrible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on June 18, 2012, 11:54:03 PM
The Texans haven't been up to a whole lot lately from what I've seen, although I admit I haven't been keeping track all that much.  The offseason is terrible.

Not really.  Quiet offseasons mean teams aren't going through the pangs of personnel movement.  The Texans are quiet, because they are plotting.  Just like the Niners. :ph34r:  They're going to be scary good this season.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2012, 05:56:58 AM
Not really.  Quiet offseasons mean teams aren't going through the pangs of personnel movement.  The Texans are quiet, because they are plotting.  Just like the Niners. :ph34r:  They're going to be scary good this season.

No, I mean the offseason is terrible because shit like soccer is on TV and there isn't any real news about Texans or Longhorns football.   The CWS and MLB are cool and all, but they aren't football.

E: Fuck I just deleted a bunch of stuff.

CountDeMoney

And in Ravens news, talk of the OTAs and minicamps say that Courtney Upshaw is the real fucking deal.  Shame he's not going to be book-ended with T-Sizzle this season, because Lewis and Suggs say this kid flies to the ball like nobody's business.

Sean Considine is looking good, and has gotten plenty of work in while Ed Reed is off doing whatever Ed Reed does when he skips mandatory minicamps, which is going to help since they lost Nakamura and Z-Bo.

In other news, the offensive line is a train wreck.  Enjoy looking at the clouds this season, Joe.  Look, there's a bunny.  And a squirrel.

derspiess

I've been approached with a possible opportunity to run the NFL's new injury video review system for home games here.  It would mean twice the money but I'd have to leave my highly important position of putting video prints into binders for the team ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

Cool.  What are the rules on those?  Are they pretty much the same as last year, which is to say irrelevant?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2012, 08:03:20 PM
Cool.  What are the rules on those?  Are they pretty much the same as last year, which is to say irrelevant?

No clue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall