NFL Offseason 2012: Because contract negotiations are part of the excitement

Started by CountDeMoney, March 01, 2012, 01:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Adrian Peterson was arrested for resisting arrest.  Either there's more to the story, or it's total bullshit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vikings-rb-peterson-arrested-club-182012336--nfl.html

QuoteMinnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was arrested early Saturday morning in Houston.

KHOU 11 News in Houston first reported that Peterson was arrested at 2:30 a.m. for resisting arrest.

A source told NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk that Peterson's arrest was captured by surveillance cameras and several people witnessed the incident in which Peterson reportedly got into an altercation with officers after refusing to leave the club.

According to the report, police arrived at the club at closing time and instructed the patrons to leave. Peterson, who was in the club with his wife and some family members, wanted to get some water first, but an officer ordered him to leave. Words were then exchanged between Peterson and the officer. Peterson eventually went to exit the club along with a bouncer.

It is unclear what Peterson was initially arrested for, but it was reported that it took multiple officers to take him down to complete the arrest.

He was booked at the Central Jail for resisting arrest and later released on a $1,000 bond.

CountDeMoney

QuotePeterson, who was in the club with his wife and some family members,

Most surprising part of the article. 

Neil

Hey Seedy, I found out what happened to Yamon Figurs.  He's playing for the Edmonton Eskimos.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

1000$ bond for a millionaire athlete? Judge was in a giving mood.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 09, 2012, 06:20:05 AM
1000$ bond for a millionaire athlete? Judge was in a giving mood.
Well, they weren't actually charging him with a crime.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2012, 10:22:02 PM
Hey Seedy, I found out what happened to Yamon Figurs.  He's playing for the Edmonton Eskimos.

Since they probably haven't discovered the forward pass up there, he's likely safe.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2012, 07:17:01 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2012, 10:22:02 PM

Since they probably haven't discovered the forward pass up there, he's likely safe.
He seems to be working primarily as a return man, and his hands seem to be a little stony.  He's still pretty fast though.  He blazed all the way across the field to bring a missed field goal out of the end zone to avoid giving up a rouge, which was a big deal when the score was still 6-1.  I don't think he ever saw the field with the offence.

CountDeMoney

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2012, 07:42:39 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2012, 07:37:54 AM
I don't think he ever saw the field with the offence.
If they're smart, he won't.
I don't think it really matters, since their QBs are retarded anyways.  Their two QBs combined for 120 yards passing, and in a league that is all about the forward pass, that's not so good.

CountDeMoney

Oh, man.

Those of us over 40 will remember this.

QuoteNorman Sas dies at 87; inventor of quirky tabletop toy called Electric Football
Well before 'Madden NFL' video games, there was Electric Football. A switch is flicked, the gridiron vibrates and the players move — often wildly in every direction.

By Jay Levin, The Record

Well before "Madden NFL" video games, there was a quirky tabletop toy called Electric Football.

Surely you remember it: Metal playing field. Two teams of 11 plastic football players, each standing on a rectangular base with prongs on the bottom and a knob on the side. At the beginning of each play, the human "coach" sets the players in the desired position and puts the football in the hands of one. A switch is flicked, the gridiron vibrates and the players move — often wildly in every direction. Occasionally the player with the ball "runs" to daylight.

Norman Sas invented Electric Football in 1948 and introduced it a year later. But it wasn't until 1967, when he signed a deal with NFL Properties, the pro football league's product licensing division, that the plastic players represented actual NFL teams and Electric Football really took off.

Sas, 87, who died June 28 at his home in Vero Beach, Fla., after a stroke, was "one of the real innovators of toy land," said Chris Byrne, content director of timetoplaymag.com, a toy review website.

"Who would've thought that a vibrating metal plate could capture the imagination of so many boys?" Byrne said, adding that the "chaos and unpredictability" of the players' movements gave Electric Football its magic.

Born in New York City in 1925, Norman Anders Sas received degrees in mechanical engineering and business administration from Massachusetts Institute of Technology before and after serving in the Navy during World War II. He became president of his father Elmer's New York company, Tudor Metal Products, in 1948. Among its products were toy musical instruments and an item born of Depression-era thrift: a "Budget Bank" for sorting pocket change and bills.

The 23-year-old Norman wasted no time making his mark. Inspired by a vibrating horse-racing toy he'd seen, he came up with Electric Football and quickly got it to market.

"Actual football thrills for armchair strategists!" said a 1949 New York Times display ad touting the game, available for $5.95 at the A&S department store on Fulton Street in Brooklyn.

The headline blared, "'Men' Actually Move in New Electric Football Game!"

Electric Football's success was such that Tudor Metal Products changed its name to Tudor Games. Other manufacturers rolled out their own versions, but it was Sas' game that received the NFL's imprimatur and landed in the Sears catalog. A December 1971 Sports Illustrated story identified Tudor Electric Football — then retailing for $9.95 to $14.95 — as the "bestseller" among all NFL-licensed products.

"For the first 10 years, we generated more money for NFL Properties than anyone else," Sas said in a 1999 Washington Post story about the Electric Football phenomenon. "Then the [video] games came out, and that was the beginning of the end."

Sas retired in 1988 after selling Tudor Games to Miggle Toys. He moved from Alpine, N.J., to Vero Beach, Fla., about 15 years ago. Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Irene; two daughters; and seven grandchildren.

As for Electric Football, it's still chugging and vibrating in this era of video and computer playthings, and there are competitions nationwide sponsored by the Miniature Football Coaches Assn., a hobbyists group. Miggle Toys continued to make Electric Football; in February, Miggle was acquired by a Seattle toy maker, Ballpark Classics Inc. Ballpark reverted to the name of Sas' company, Tudor Games — a nod to Electric Football's importance to the deal.

A book about Sas and Electric Football, "The Unforgettable Buzz," is scheduled to be published this year. One of its authors, Earl Shores, said the Electric Football game he received for Christmas in 1968 — NFL 620 model, New York Giants versus Cleveland Browns — "was the most important present I ever got."

"You'd sit there and on the 10th try your running back would turn to the left and magically go down the field for a touchdown," he said. "You played Electric Football for that one moment."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2012, 08:33:06 AM
Oh, man.

Those of us over 40 will remember this.

QuoteNorman Sas dies at 87; inventor of quirky tabletop toy called Electric Football
Well before 'Madden NFL' video games, there was Electric Football. A switch is flicked, the gridiron vibrates and the players move — often wildly in every direction.

By Jay Levin, The Record

Well before "Madden NFL" video games, there was a quirky tabletop toy called Electric Football.

Surely you remember it: Metal playing field. Two teams of 11 plastic football players, each standing on a rectangular base with prongs on the bottom and a knob on the side. At the beginning of each play, the human "coach" sets the players in the desired position and puts the football in the hands of one. A switch is flicked, the gridiron vibrates and the players move — often wildly in every direction. Occasionally the player with the ball "runs" to daylight.

Norman Sas invented Electric Football in 1948 and introduced it a year later. But it wasn't until 1967, when he signed a deal with NFL Properties, the pro football league's product licensing division, that the plastic players represented actual NFL teams and Electric Football really took off.

Sas, 87, who died June 28 at his home in Vero Beach, Fla., after a stroke, was "one of the real innovators of toy land," said Chris Byrne, content director of timetoplaymag.com, a toy review website.

"Who would've thought that a vibrating metal plate could capture the imagination of so many boys?" Byrne said, adding that the "chaos and unpredictability" of the players' movements gave Electric Football its magic.

Born in New York City in 1925, Norman Anders Sas received degrees in mechanical engineering and business administration from Massachusetts Institute of Technology before and after serving in the Navy during World War II. He became president of his father Elmer's New York company, Tudor Metal Products, in 1948. Among its products were toy musical instruments and an item born of Depression-era thrift: a "Budget Bank" for sorting pocket change and bills.

The 23-year-old Norman wasted no time making his mark. Inspired by a vibrating horse-racing toy he'd seen, he came up with Electric Football and quickly got it to market.

"Actual football thrills for armchair strategists!" said a 1949 New York Times display ad touting the game, available for $5.95 at the A&S department store on Fulton Street in Brooklyn.

The headline blared, "'Men' Actually Move in New Electric Football Game!"

Electric Football's success was such that Tudor Metal Products changed its name to Tudor Games. Other manufacturers rolled out their own versions, but it was Sas' game that received the NFL's imprimatur and landed in the Sears catalog. A December 1971 Sports Illustrated story identified Tudor Electric Football — then retailing for $9.95 to $14.95 — as the "bestseller" among all NFL-licensed products.

"For the first 10 years, we generated more money for NFL Properties than anyone else," Sas said in a 1999 Washington Post story about the Electric Football phenomenon. "Then the [video] games came out, and that was the beginning of the end."

Sas retired in 1988 after selling Tudor Games to Miggle Toys. He moved from Alpine, N.J., to Vero Beach, Fla., about 15 years ago. Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Irene; two daughters; and seven grandchildren.

As for Electric Football, it's still chugging and vibrating in this era of video and computer playthings, and there are competitions nationwide sponsored by the Miniature Football Coaches Assn., a hobbyists group. Miggle Toys continued to make Electric Football; in February, Miggle was acquired by a Seattle toy maker, Ballpark Classics Inc. Ballpark reverted to the name of Sas' company, Tudor Games — a nod to Electric Football's importance to the deal.

A book about Sas and Electric Football, "The Unforgettable Buzz," is scheduled to be published this year. One of its authors, Earl Shores, said the Electric Football game he received for Christmas in 1968 — NFL 620 model, New York Giants versus Cleveland Browns — "was the most important present I ever got."

"You'd sit there and on the 10th try your running back would turn to the left and magically go down the field for a touchdown," he said. "You played Electric Football for that one moment."

:worthy:

We had two.  My brother stepped on the NFC endzone on our Super Bowl XII (Cowboys vs. Broncos) field and permanently dented it, but we kept using it-- until one of my dad's co-workers gave him one for us, which turned out to be one of the earlier models because it had the goofy old-style field goals.

My brother got several teams, which IIRC came in division bundles, so we'd take the teams we didn't like much and paint them as college teams.  The Rams became WVU, we did a few other college teams, and the Chiefs actually became my midget league team the Barboursville Pirates :blush:

We used to have to make our own footballs when we lost those that came with the game, and the "passer/kicker" guy was always so unusable we usually just flicked or threw the ball with our fingers.

Good times :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2012, 09:59:36 AM
We had two.  My brother stepped on the NFC endzone on our Super Bowl XII (Cowboys vs. Broncos) field and permanently dented it, but we kept using it-

LOL, that's the exact same one I had.  Christmas '78, I believe.

I used to listen to Colts home games on the radio in my room on Sundays--they were always blacked out due to attendance, go fig--set it up on my bed, and reenact the plays on it.  Good times.