News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raz Science question: Why no tiny Dinosaurs?

Started by Razgovory, February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Your science-speak doesn't phase me!  I can see through your lies!

Viking

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 24, 2012, 08:50:39 AM
Your science-speak doesn't phase me!  I can see through your lies!

Words have meaning duude.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2012, 09:18:54 AM

Well I was going to say something about pictures being more meaningful and finding another photo of geckos and something some such, but ugh

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2012, 05:21:55 AM
One theory for why dinosaurs tended to be excluded from small sizes is that they had avian-style respiratory systems. These are more efficient than those of mammals, but they also take up more space (with air sacs). Space is at a premium at smaller sizes, so this could have been a disadvantage for them. But there isn't evidence that all dinosaurs had that style of respiratory system.

It does seem that land mammals are excluded from the general design of some of the largest dinosaurs, because of limitations of the respiratory systems.

Interesting, but birds can get pretty small.  Like Humming birds. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 24, 2012, 09:21:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2012, 09:18:54 AM

Well I was going to say something about pictures being more meaningful and finding another photo of geckos and something some such, but ugh

The thing is we have dinosaurs living today, they are called birds. So if you had used this picture

then you would have a point.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Viking on February 24, 2012, 09:45:20 AM
The thing is we have dinosaurs living today, they are called birds. So if you had used this picture

a fucking picture of penguins for gods sake

then you would have a point.

:bash:

e: oh I hope that Fry gif works now. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2012, 09:31:41 AM

Interesting, but birds can get pretty small.  Like Humming birds.

Birds are a special case, because flying requires high oxygen useage and is benefited by low body weight and a lack of side to side movement in flight. I think they are strong evidence of the theory, actually. Dinosaur descendants exist, but in the smaller variety are relegated to a specialized niche that the respiration system seems tailored for (the flightless birds tend to be large).

The theory is the respiration system evolved when oxygen levels were much lower than today.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Darth Wagtaros

I believe it was much,much higher during the Permian and Cretaceous.
PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2012, 11:28:13 AM
When was the oxygen levels lower?

Right after the PT extinction event about 250 million years ago (the beginning of the triassic). Initially mammal like animals were more prevelant, but these were replaced by antecedents of dinosaurs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

I should emphasize that I'm not a scientist and I'm probably full of crap--this is just my lay understanding.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2012, 12:20:34 PM
Why aren't you a scientist?

When I was in school the scientist path promised harder classes, many more years in school, and then crappy pay. On the plus side I could look smart whenever topics regarding dinosaur physiology came up, but at the time I didn't think that outweighed the horrors of a biochemistry class.