Raz Science question: Why no tiny Dinosaurs?

Started by Razgovory, February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on February 28, 2012, 09:37:22 PM
I really enjoy trilobites.

I had this card set, when I was a kid, that told the story of a dinosaur/extinct animal invasion.  It was extraordinarily gruesome in a hilarious way, and my favorite card was the trilobites eating a guy's face.

Well, either that or the plesiosaur crushing the Statue of Liberty with its coiled neck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

My grandfather use to go out collecting those fossils in the desert. Several of us have a few.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 28, 2012, 11:44:39 PM

I had this card set, when I was a kid, that told the story of a dinosaur/extinct animal invasion.  It was extraordinarily gruesome in a hilarious way, and my favorite card was the trilobites eating a guy's face.

Well, either that or the plesiosaur crushing the Statue of Liberty with its coiled neck.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

That settles it, the Trilobite is now the official animal of Languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 11:50:40 PM

FUCK YES.  You're a beautiful human being, garbo.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

That picture reminds me of the illustrated inserts in those old "Where in Time/the World/whatever is Carmen Sandiego" books from the early 90s.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2012, 09:20:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 28, 2012, 09:14:44 PM
440 million years ago, my property was a shallow tropical reef covered with clam beds.  Today, I have literally thousands of fossils laying around.  I have two or three exposed rocky outcrops back in the woods that are nothing but solid blocks of clam fossils (or 'brachiopods' if you want to get technical).  I'm pretty sure liberals didn't plant all that stuff on my property in an effort to deceive me.

Jimmy carter has plenty of spare time to do it.

Maybe Grumbler did it? Or saw who did it? :p

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 07:25:25 PM

This has always caused misconceptions in biology.  Since things like evolution happen fairly slowly, it seems to us that species and classifications are static.  This is not the case.  Mammals 100 million years ago were different then mammals today.  If we had mammals from 100 million years ago walking around with modern mammals we probably wouldn't have put them in the same category.

Yes, Synapsids are Mammals in the same way Humans are Monkeys.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I'm constantly disappointed by your lack of knowledge concerning evolutionary biology. :( 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Dinosaurs Attack is available in its entirety on the interweb.
PDH!

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 28, 2012, 07:28:41 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 28, 2012, 07:20:27 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2012, 08:59:03 PM
Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2012, 11:22:45 PM
Dinosaurs never existed.

serious question, what do you think fossils are? a test of faith, a misundertanding?

What fossils?
All that crap is a liberal conspiracy.

I can never tell if you are serious. 

I am always serious.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 29, 2012, 06:46:07 AM
I'm constantly disappointed by your lack of knowledge concerning evolutionary biology. :( 

Evolutionary biology?
What a waste.

Malthus

Behold the terror of the horseshoe crab!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Limulus_polyphemus.jpg

Actually, these things are kinda scary, I can kinda imagine them eating your face:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Giant_isopod.jpg

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege