Raz Science question: Why no tiny Dinosaurs?

Started by Razgovory, February 23, 2012, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on February 24, 2012, 12:43:18 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2012, 12:20:34 PM
Why aren't you a scientist?

When I was in school the scientist path promised harder classes, many more years in school, and then crappy pay. On the plus side I could look smart whenever topics regarding dinosaur physiology came up, but at the time I didn't think that outweighed the horrors of a biochemistry class.

You better move on. No use wishing you'd done things differently.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

We're slowly evolving from angry young men to bitter old ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  For some of us though, it is only a difference of degrees.  grumbler and PDH were old when we began this journey.
PDH!

garbon

And some of us have been bitter since birth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2012, 03:23:45 PM
We're slowly evolving from angry young men to bitter old ones.

Speak for yourself, I came here fully formed as old and bitter.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2012, 03:58:13 PM
And some of us have been bitter since birth.

Maybe your mom shouldn't have drank much pale ale during the pregnancy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Generally speaking AR is right, but I think that one of the dinosaur's primary advantages was the way their hip was constructed; two legs directly underneath the body with a then-unrivaled degree of freedom of movement, allowing for greater dexterity, the evolution of two-leg locomotion, and after a certain size an erect posture makes a lot of sense.

In comparison, all the truly tiny vertebrates I can think of today-rodents, lizards-have a sprawling posture. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

I want to have the last word in this thread.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

HVC

Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2012, 11:22:45 PM
Dinosaurs never existed.

serious question, what do you think fossils are? a test of faith, a misundertanding?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.