Hollywood's irrational allergy to 'black' films

Started by Siege, January 22, 2012, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Also, I'd like to point out that you're disagreeing with your article(as do I) that there's a large untapped market for these films.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Siege on January 22, 2012, 09:04:36 PM
Any full cast black movie have ever been a big hitter at the box office?

I don't think so. Fact remains, that white people, being 71% of americans, do not watch black movies.

I Am Legend is in the top 100 All-Time for box office returns.

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on January 22, 2012, 08:23:27 PM
I don't know.

Maybe I found amusing liberal hollywood not green lighting black movies.

Well there is a difference between the actors and the big money people who finance them :P

I am kind of surprised there are not more "black" TV shows and movies for the general audience out.  It seemed like they were fairly common in the 70s and 80s.  We all watched those shows and movies back then and we were certainly not less racist than are now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

They were mostly family sitcoms though. There's just much less demand for those nowadays.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2012, 10:03:41 PM
Quote from: Siege on January 22, 2012, 08:23:27 PM
I don't know.

Maybe I found amusing liberal hollywood not green lighting black movies.

Well there is a difference between the actors and the big money people who finance them :P

I am kind of surprised there are not more "black" TV shows and movies for the general audience out.  It seemed like they were fairly common in the 70s and 80s.  We all watched those shows and movies back then and we were certainly not less racist than are now.

Different Strokes and the Cosby Show are why those of our generation are the core of today's enlightened society.

Josquius

I for one I dont' enjoy these types of movies because I am simply not interesting in stories about the hood, why is ussually the central topic in black movies.
I'd agree here. Black people- no problem at all, I'm colour blind in what films I see.
African Americanism though-...well thats a different culture to the more familiar American culture and one which requires an exceptional movie (/a very boring day) to draw me into.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 22, 2012, 10:02:04 PM

I don't think so. Fact remains, that white people, being 71% of americans, do not watch black movies.

I Am Legend is in the top 100 All-Time for box office returns.

I was rather fond of; The Pursuit of Happyness. Doesnt have an all black cast however.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 22, 2012, 10:27:22 PM
I for one I dont' enjoy these types of movies because I am simply not interesting in stories about the hood, why is ussually the central topic in black movies.
I'd agree here. Black people- no problem at all, I'm colour blind in what films I see.
African Americanism though-...well thats a different culture to the more familiar American culture and one which requires an exceptional movie (/a very boring day) to draw me into.

Shocking that you'd agree with an inability to relate to certain subcultures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Well finding an all Black cast is going to be unlikely, simply because there aren't many stories that interest Americans where blacks are going to be the only characters you see.  Not many stories about Pre-Colonial Africa that anyone is going to relate to (Black or White).  There are plenty of films were all or most of the principal characters are African American.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2012, 11:54:13 PM
Well finding an all Black cast is going to be unlikely, simply because there aren't many stories that interest Americans where blacks are going to be the only characters you see.

True dat. There are a couple older movies that come to mind, A Raisin in the Sun, that might fit the bill...maybe.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

QuoteHollywood defenders will be quick to say, what about Will Smith? Denzel Washington? Halle Berry?
What's interesting in Hollywood is that if you're Will Smith, Denzel Washington or a handful of others, you really aren't seen as "black." For them, they have crossed the post-racial threshold, and in Hollywood's eyes, white America will watch them.

I'm not interested in watching an actor who is primarily identified as "White". If you want actors to be seen as "Black" then they will remain niche. The same about movies. What do these people want? Do they want black movies to remain special interest movies and not very attractive or do they want them to be post-racial universal and studios happily making them?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 22, 2012, 09:16:16 PM

The Color Purple ???? to throw out there.

Hell, that one still makes me tear up at the end.

Quoteand no one says "white" romantic comedies should end.

I do.

11B4V

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2012, 06:06:11 AM
Witness.... :huh:...no Kingpin.

Forgot about Kingpin.

I checked the byline on the OP--Roland Martin.  He's the Reverand Al Lite CNN hired after Obama was elected.  So no surprise he's beating the race drum.