Hollywood's irrational allergy to 'black' films

Started by Siege, January 22, 2012, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

If I'm ever forced to watch The Color Purple I'm gonna cry like a baby.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

American Gangster dis really well at the box office. Not all-black of course, but not far off.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 23, 2012, 07:34:04 AM
How many actors in Witness were Amish?

Not allowed to say, since the Mob is still looking for them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2012, 06:22:21 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2012, 06:06:11 AM
Witness.... :huh:...no Kingpin.

Forgot about Kingpin.

I checked the byline on the OP--Roland Martin.  He's the Reverand Al Lite CNN hired after Obama was elected.  So no surprise he's beating the race drum.

Roland Martin is an annoying ass.  I think he was one well before Obama was elected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JacobL

They made this movie at least once already.  I thought it was an ok film.  Lucas is filthnasty rich and didn't need anyone to specially approve of him making the movie.  He could have easily gotten it made if he felt like it.  You know....if he wasn't too busy screwing up Star Wars over and over again. :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: JacobL on January 23, 2012, 11:25:27 AM
They made this movie at least once already.

Yeah I remember a film on this exact same subject with Lawrence Fishburn and that dude from the Cosby show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2012, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: JacobL on January 23, 2012, 11:25:27 AM
They made this movie at least once already.

Yeah I remember a film on this exact same subject with Lawrence Fishburn and that dude from the Cosby show.

That was a decent film.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2012, 11:51:47 AM
That was a decent film.

Yeah I remember enjoying it very much.

But I think it was a made for TV movie so I guess it doesn't count.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

I think it is a myth that Hollywood is liberal. Some actors and directors are liberal, but overall Hollywood as a cultural fixture is painful mainstream/middle America. It shows people what they want to see.

For all its alleged left wing bias (which I suppose is mainly demonstrated by its propensity for sex and violence, I guess), it has shown a remarkable racism and homophobia for decades, for example.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2012, 11:56:36 AM
I think it is a myth that Hollywood is liberal. Some actors and directors are liberal, but overall Hollywood as a cultural fixture is painful mainstream/middle America. It shows people what they want to see.

For all its alleged left wing bias (which I suppose is mainly demonstrated by its propensity for sex and violence, I guess), it has shown a remarkable racism and homophobia for decades, for example.

This is Siege and his ilk we are talking about.  To them anything that is not Republican propaganda is left wing bias.  But I do not think there is anything remarkable about its racism and homophobia, it is actually rather banal and ordinary.

Razgovory

Like I said, his people run it.  What does he want from the rest of us?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2012, 11:56:36 AM

The vast majority of Hollywood movies that take any kind of position on political/social issues come at it from the left. Sex and violence, however, make for good bipartisan fun. As for racism and homophobia- less than general public. Though at least we don't put them in extermination camps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?