News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Designer Babies, Yea or Nay?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 28, 2011, 12:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should people be able to design their babies to the extent that technology allows?

Yea
9 (34.6%)
Nay
10 (38.5%)
It's more complicated than that...
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

MadImmortalMan

He's worried about some people being smarter than others?  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 28, 2011, 12:40:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 12:32:45 PM
If we're concerned about inequality, focus on outcomes, not opportunities, dummy.

wut?

When the superhuman gets a job, you tax his ass for all the good society's done him with his brain genes and big dick and so forth, and give it to his dumb flatscan neighbors.

I suppose, on thinking about it, it would be better just to have a publicly funded program where everybody comes out as good as possible.  And the faith babies are aborted.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Maybe we should just go ahead and proscribe all the smart people now. Are you now or have you ever been a member of MENSA?????  :menace:

Ideologue

We need the smart people for the revenue and sexbots.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Have you been hitting the breakfast bong Ide? :hmm:

Ideologue

How is this different from anything I always say? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

garbon

Anyway I think the deaf lesbian couple is a great reason not to allow this. Those individuals lack the brainpower to make informed decisions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2011, 05:04:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 28, 2011, 12:48:45 AM
I think the problem with designers babies is the same problem as with designer crops.  Sure, in the short term, you can get huge gains in whatever it is that you're measuring.  In the long term, though, homogeneity of the stock can lead to total extinction, in case some new dangers crop up.

Another problem are the social and political implications of effectively engineering a "master race", since the designer babies will likely be available only to the rich. The foundation of our system is based (at least in theory) on a socially mobile meritocracy. It will be over if the rich will simply be vastly superior to the poor in personal capabilities' terms.
The rich don't only fuck the rich, highly beneficial traits spread at a surprisingly rapid rate through a population.

Also, the price for emerging technologies will inevitably come down. The first time the human genome was sequenced it cost a billion dollars and now it costs only ten thousand.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 07:08:46 PM
I think the problem with designers babies is the same problem as with designer crops.  Sure, in the short term, you can get huge gains in whatever it is that you're measuring.  In the long term, though, homogeneity of the stock can lead to total extinction, in case some new dangers crop up.

Another problem are the social and political implications of effectively engineering a "master race", since the designer babies will likely be available only to the rich. The foundation of our system is based (at least in theory) on a socially mobile meritocracy. It will be over if the rich will simply be vastly superior to the poor in personal capabilities' terms.
The rich don't only fuck the rich, highly beneficial traits spread at a surprisingly rapid rate through a population.

Humans, especially present day humans, are to a large degree insulated from natural selection.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2011, 07:10:25 PM

Humans, especially present day humans, are to a large degree insulated from natural selection.
That's completely false, human evolution is only accelerating due to the vast increase in population and the immense changes in living habits and habitat that we've created, introducing new selective pressures upon us.

Also, I edited my last post.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Martinus certainly is.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 07:14:33 PM
That's completely false, human evolution is only accelerating due to the vast increase in population and the immense changes in living habits and habitat that we've created, introducing new selective pressures upon us.

Life would be so much easier if I could just club a female on the head and take her back to my cave.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

That's assuming the gene designers would make their traits inheritable, which is highly unlikely.  Why risk losing repeat customers?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on December 28, 2011, 07:42:37 PM

That's assuming the gene designers would make their traits inheritable, which is highly unlikely.  Why risk losing repeat customers?

How do you make genes not inheritable?  :huh:

Even if they could the political pressure would force the government to mandate that they not do so.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 28, 2011, 07:14:33 PM

Also, I edited my last post.

Which highly beneficial traits have spread rapidly throughout any human population in historical time, Tim?
Kinemalogue