News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Marlborough Best Place To Raise Kids In Mass.

Started by garbon, November 15, 2011, 10:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

My roommates are from Methuen and Sudbury respectively.  Socioeconomic class tracks.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Methuen roommate also lived in Lowell (commentary: Cambodians and Puerto Rican drug dealers) -- and Lawrence (commentary: shithole).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Darth Wagtaros

Yes, to both, though Lawrence is far worse than a shithole.
PDH!

Capetan Mihali

I fear that the Green Line extension into Slummerville will gentrify it within an inch of its life.  Any part of Somerville near the T or the universities is already pretty much crowded up with students and Brazilians, with a couple of Portuguese sectors.

Caliga

public transportation. :x

None of that anywhere near here.  :showoff:  :Canuck:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 16, 2011, 08:48:01 PM
I fear that the Green Line extension into Slummerville will gentrify it within an inch of its life.  Any part of Somerville near the T or the universities is already pretty much crowded up with students and Brazilians, with a couple of Portuguese sectors.

So weird to me to talk about gentrifying white neighborhoods.

What's that town due west of Cambridge, anyone?  Is that Concord?

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2011, 09:03:34 PM

Waltham IIRC.

Darth Wagtaros

I spent 45 minutes moving 2 miles through Lowell today.

Yeah, Concord. 
PDH!

Capetan Mihali

Watertown.

Capetan Mihali

Caliga

Oh right, forgot about Watertown.  Watertown is between Waltham and Cambridge.

Capetan Mihali

I've only been a gentrifier in white neighborhoods.  Living in shitty houses rather than new condos, but same diff ultimately.  In Philly, the boundary of a white Irish neighborhood (Pennsport) and a white Italian neighborhood (middle of South Philly, I guess).  The big gentrification there was the expansion into West Philly (black) and Fishtown/Kensington/Port Richmond (Irish, white/P.R., and Polish, respectively).

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on November 16, 2011, 07:44:31 PM
Anyway, the reality is that the best towns to raise kids in Mass. are, have been for quite some time, and will be for the forseeable future, one of the following:  Concord, Dover, Natick, Needham, Sherborn, Sudbury, Wellesley, Weston, Wayland.
Heh, probably right, the wealthier type towns. Westwood too maybe in that mix of wealthier towns. Though I think there are a lot of non-wealthy towns that do a decent job with schools, etc. The state has a program for building cookie-cutter type high schools, after some towns went nuts building uber expensive schools, several hundred million dollars. Newton is a prime example of an overly expensive school, one of the poster childs for the new program.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 16, 2011, 07:44:31 PM
Anyway, the reality is that the best towns to raise kids in Mass. are, have been for quite some time, and will be for the forseeable future, one of the following:  Concord, Dover, Natick, Needham, Sherborn, Sudbury, Wellesley, Weston, Wayland.

I really enjoyed spending my summers as a kid in Woods Hole.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius