And we're back!

Main Menu

Neopaganism Is The Worst

Started by Queequeg, October 31, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 09:17:03 AM
I'm not in a flock :mellow:

But the entire point is neopagans don't have anything to believe in.  Being religious means believing in something external that's greater than yourself.  Neopagans don't have that.  They feel good in a forest, which is fine, but it's not a religion.  When they move beyond themselves then I'll think of them as a religion rather than self-involvement in a robe.
Your flock is the flock that believes that some beliefs (like "being religious means believing in something external that's greater than yourself" and "Neopagans ... feel good in a forest...but it's not a religion") are true as soon as asserted. :mellow:

I still don't see any inherent difference between believing in unevidenced things that are "external that's greater than yourself" and believing in unevidenced things that are not "external that's greater than yourself."  Members of your flock (not every one of which is religious) still look much alike to me, since I don't see the differences in what you believe in that separates you in your eyes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2011, 11:22:05 AM
Yes, but I think the religious are especially persistent in that. Perhaps in future, our presidential candidates will be losing votes because they play the Horde. Right now they lose votes because of their religious views.

They lose votes for all sorts of views.  If a presidential candidate spent all his time playing World of Warcraft that would probably lose him votes also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 10:59:09 AM
That is the thing I cannot really get.  What is religion supposed to be satisfying?  I am not really sure.  But people do seem to really get something from it.
I don't get it, either, nor do I get the distinctions people draw between religions, or between "real" religions and "things-that-look-like-religions-but-are-not."

But I don't think it is important.  I know that my parents got a lot out of being religious, and I know that I appreciate all the support that the other members of my church give to my mother.  Religion isn't good or bad.  Religious people do good or bad things, just like irreligious people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2011, 09:16:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 04:40:07 AM
How odd.  Religion is a bit like law.  You don't personally interpret the law.  Well not if you intend to stay out of jail.  Why would the divine law change person to person?

People don't interpret religion? :huh:

Best left to professionals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 10:09:47 AMBut I also sort of like new agey bullshit because it is so wonderfully post-modern.  Everybody involved usually knows it is bullshit but it fulfills them on some level they have a hard time vocalizing.  I find it pretty interesting really.
I can see that.  But I have a sort-of ascetic Commie attitude to this sort of thing.  I find the new age stuff decadent, Western self-indulgence - which I don't think is true of, say, the Hare Krishna who have a real corpus of belief going on.  It brings out a reaction <_< :P

For what it's worth I entirely disagree with Marty on this too :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2011, 10:56:58 AM
Religious/superstitious people are biologically superior to beings of pure reason(if such existed) as they are able to cling to irrational things like the survival instinct.

They also reproduce at a higher rate then secular people.  If you have to aniamls who are identical except for one is far more fertile then the other, the less fertile species will be out competed by the more fertile one.  In essence, secularism is an evolutionary dead end.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 10:59:09 AMThat is the thing I cannot really get.  What is religion supposed to be satisfying?  I am not really sure.  But people do seem to really get something from it.
Different people get different things out of it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2011, 10:09:47 AMBut I also sort of like new agey bullshit because it is so wonderfully post-modern.  Everybody involved usually knows it is bullshit but it fulfills them on some level they have a hard time vocalizing.  I find it pretty interesting really.
I can see that.  But I have a sort-of ascetic Commie attitude to this sort of thing.  I find the new age stuff decadent, Western self-indulgence - which I don't think is true of, say, the Hare Krishna who have a real corpus of belief going on.  It brings out a reaction <_< :P

For what it's worth I entirely disagree with Marty on this too :P

Marty only cares about himself, as evidence in his "why do heteros get so freaked out about cheating", thread.  I think the idea of sacrificing for no personal gain, is totally alien to him.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2011, 11:13:35 AM
If the efficiency of our reasoning was considered paramount,

Under that premise, we are basically screwed because there is quite a bit of evidence that as an empirical matter, human reasoning tends to be grossly inefficient and subject to all sorts of biases and systemic errors. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2011, 11:48:25 AMMarty only cares about himself, as evidence in his "why do heteros get so freaked out about cheating", thread.  I think the idea of sacrificing for no personal gain, is totally alien to him.
That's harsh.  But I do think Marti's probably the poster I most often fundamentally disagree with.  Thank God he's funny.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2011, 09:17:03 AM
I'm not in a flock :mellow:

But the entire point is neopagans don't have anything to believe in.  Being religious means believing in something external that's greater than yourself.  Neopagans don't have that.  They feel good in a forest, which is fine, but it's not a religion.  When they move beyond themselves then I'll think of them as a religion rather than self-involvement in a robe.

I wonder how much you actually know about neo-pagan beliefs. From this comment, I'd argue not much. They do have a belief system with gods and morals and everything, or at least most do. (It's really hard to discuss this intelligently when you continue to lump all of neo-pagan religions into one lump category.)

Perhaps you should do a bit of research before espousing this kind of garbage.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on November 02, 2011, 12:37:38 PM
I wonder how much you actually know about neo-pagan beliefs. From this comment, I'd argue not much. They do have a belief system with gods and morals and everything, or at least most do. (It's really hard to discuss this intelligently when you continue to lump all of neo-pagan religions into one lump category.)
My family live not far from Glastonbury or Stonehenge.  I've spoken to a fair few neo-pagans and there's a lot in the area.  Nothing I've come across so far's shaken me into tolerance.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on November 02, 2011, 10:47:45 AM
Religion is for the weak. Just like a crutch, and equally useful.

I guess I just view all people as weak at some point in their lives, and if religion helps them keep going, I see no problem with it. In other words, if my twist my ankle, it helps to have a crutch to get on with things.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2011, 11:32:00 AM
I don't get it, either, nor do I get the distinctions people draw between religions, or between "real" religions and "things-that-look-like-religions-but-are-not."

But I don't think it is important.  I know that my parents got a lot out of being religious, and I know that I appreciate all the support that the other members of my church give to my mother.  Religion isn't good or bad.  Religious people do good or bad things, just like irreligious people.

Beautifully stated, Grumbler.