‘It Gets Heated’: Twin Sisters Divided Over Occupy Wall Street

Started by garbon, October 28, 2011, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2011, 07:59:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 11:00:24 AM
Nope.  In the Cretaceous, the atmosphere had 50% more oxygen, and also ~500% more CO2, but not enough to pose a health hazard so far as I know--at least in the short term; long-term exposure to five- or sixfold CO2 levels may manifest some bad effects.  Actually, though, I suspect some devices might have to be redesigned to work properly--internal combustion engines specifically.  And heightened O2 may mean greater incidence of cancer?  I dunno, I'm not a doctor.
Which model are you using to support your argument?

For CO2 levels, Pearson and Palmer's boron proxy method, which relies on indicators of oceanic pH (and hence dissolved CO2) in plankton shells to estimate CO2 levels in the atmosphere.  Admittedly, other methods (such as stomatal index as a proxy for carbon dioxide concentration at ground level, fewer stomae meaning more CO2) produce significantly lower estimates.  2000ppmv+ for boron proxy, as opposed to like 400 or so for stomae concentration, i.e. present-day concentrations.

The O2 one I may have pulled out of my ass, but it's what Wikipedia says.  I know less about how they arrive at that, perhaps simply suggesting animals of a given size and assumed activity level couldn't pull it off without it.  (I did run across a paper that argued than significantly-higher-than-present O2 concentrations drove a slow plant extinction over the last ten million years of the Cretaceous.)

Edit: I kept spelling it "stroma."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

OK.  Well your oxygen number is too high.  I don't really have a problem with CO2.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I keep mistaking this thread for something about Twisted Sister rather then "Twin sisters".  Also Ide, you should have gone into engineering or something rather then law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 09:12:11 PM
I keep mistaking this thread for something about Twisted Sister rather then "Twin sisters".  Also Ide, you should have gone into engineering or something rather then law.

Engineering?  No, I'm not good enough at math (actually, it's something I really wish I'd applied myself more to--not necessarily for monetary gain, but to understand science better for personal edification).

But medicine, that's where it's at.  Hell, nursing school.  That's retarded easy.  My stepsister's kind of a moron and makes like $100k a year as a part-time nurse anaesthetist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I suggested engineering so you could be useful in your life.  My cousin in a nurse.  She has a PhD in nursing which is kind of weird I thought.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Health care is pretty much infinitely more useful than lawyering.  But it can still be harmful to society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 31, 2011, 09:30:08 PM
Health care is pretty much infinitely more useful than lawyering.  But it can still be harmful to society.

Health care creeps me out.  I don't like needles and stuff.  Whole business gives me the willies.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 09:21:22 PM
I suggested engineering so you could be useful in your life.  My cousin in a nurse.  She has a PhD in nursing which is kind of weird I thought.

I'm highly useful, simply unused.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 09:46:08 PM

Like that general said in Spies Like Us," an unused weapon is a useless weapon".  Same thing with you your skills.

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 09:44:17 PM
Health care creeps me out.  I don't like needles and stuff.  Whole business gives me the willies.

Are you a trypanophobe? I passed out watching 127 Hours.

Razgovory

No.  I just don't like it.  I'm not deathly afraid of hospitals or needles and blood and stuff, I just don't like it very well.  Kinda sets my teeth on edge.  I do let them draw blood and the like, I just look away when they do it.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 09:46:08 PM
You got a law degree.  That's the opposite of useful.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 31, 2011, 08:47:38 PM

For CO2 levels, Pearson and Palmer's boron proxy method, which relies on indicators of oceanic pH (and hence dissolved CO2) in plankton shells to estimate CO2 levels in the atmosphere.  Admittedly, other methods (such as stomatal index as a proxy for carbon dioxide concentration at ground level, fewer stomae meaning more CO2) produce significantly lower estimates.  2000ppmv+ for boron proxy, as opposed to like 400 or so for stomae concentration, i.e. present-day concentrations.

I would like to read more about this. Do you have any links?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2011, 10:10:54 PM
No.  I just don't like it.  I'm not deathly afraid of hospitals or needles and blood and stuff, I just don't like it very well.  Kinda sets my teeth on edge.  I do let them draw blood and the like, I just look away when they do it.
I like getting shots, but yeah having blood drawn makes me queasy and even faint on occasion.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points