And we're back!

Main Menu

Iranian plot thwarted

Started by Razgovory, October 11, 2011, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2011, 08:52:43 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 12, 2011, 05:02:02 PM
It would have caused war if they pulled it off.
No it wouldn't have.  You guys don't have the strength to fight a war against Iran.

Yes, but that isn't likely to stop us.  It could easily lead to war between the Saudis and Iranians.  Or simply an air campaign.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2011, 08:52:43 PM
No it wouldn't have.  You guys don't have the strength to fight a war against Iran.

:(  It's like living in France after the Battle of Nations.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Soo, I can't see why the Iranian state would organize this. What's the edge? Or they can be so amateur that they thought their sponsorship was untracable? Or simply they want hostile action from the US to prop up their failing regime?

That said, I don't think this was a fabricated CB by the Amerikkans, they would have let the bomb explode in that case.

Maladict

Dammit, not now. Every country I go to or plan to go to has gone down in riots or revolution the past year.  :ultra:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 12, 2011, 07:16:09 PM

Not necessarily. The Chileans assassinated a guy back in the 1970s IIRC, and the Iranians bumped off an important dissident in DC in 1980. And some more around Europe I believe.
If they killed a hundred civilians at the same time?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2011, 01:56:06 AM
Soo, I can't see why the Iranian state would organize this. What's the edge? Or they can be so amateur that they thought their sponsorship was untracable? Or simply they want hostile action from the US to prop up their failing regime?

That said, I don't think this was a fabricated CB by the Amerikkans, they would have let the bomb explode in that case.

Because they are religious nutbags with crazy motivations who think that the USA is so pathetic that it would never ACTUALLY do anything regardless of what they do. The US and UK reactions to Iranian provokations for the last 10 years probably gives them good reason to think this.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

The US has invaded two countries in the last ten years, and bombed three. That's an unwise calculation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 03:21:57 AM
The US has invaded two countries in the last ten years, and bombed three. That's an unwise calculation.

2002 - US bombs the shit out of Iraq and invades with 150 thousand men destroying the 4th largest army in the world making the fastest advance in military history.
2011 - US lends 80 tomahawks to the UK to shoot at Libya.

I can see a trend there.. can you. Just ask yourself, will the US invade Iran to depose the government?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2011, 03:24:36 AM

2002 - US bombs the shit out of Iraq and invades with 150 thousand men destroying the 4th largest army in the world making the fastest advance in military history.

I missed this one. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

2003 - US bombs the shit out of Iraq and invades with 150 thousand men destroying the 4th largest army in the world making the fastest advance in military history.

I can see a trend there.. can you. Just ask yourself, will the US invade Iran to depose the government?
Libya barely had a military, invasion was completely unnecessary. 80 tomahawks got the job down.

I doubt we'd invade Iran, there'd be a massive air campaign though.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 03:30:11 AM

2003 - US bombs the shit out of Iraq and invades with 150 thousand men destroying the 4th largest army in the world making the fastest advance in military history.

Libya barely had a military, invasion was completely unnecessary. 80 tomahawks got the job down.

Meanwhile Iran; directly and through Iraqi minions; tries to screw up Iraq and Afghanistan as much as possible while Hisbullah creates serious problems with Israel trying to make the conflict USA and Israel vs Iran and Hisbullah in the arab mind. What makes you think that the USA would be willing to pay that cost just for the benefit of one murdered Saudi diplomat?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2011, 03:36:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 03:30:11 AM

Meanwhile Iran; directly and through Iraqi minions; tries to screw up Iraq and Afghanistan as much as possible while Hisbullah creates serious problems with Israel trying to make the conflict USA and Israel vs Iran and Hisbullah in the arab mind. What makes you think that the USA would be willing to pay that cost just for the benefit of one murdered Saudi diplomat?
Who the hell cares about the diplomat? It's the hundred dead civilians (high class restaurant frequented by congressmen) that would cause a conflict.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I'm reminded of the classic boardgame Assassin. Oh the hilarity when your assassin picked weapon "bomb" at location "china store".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 03:44:35 AMWho the hell cares about the diplomat? It's the hundred dead civilians (high class restaurant frequented by congressmen) that would cause a conflict.

Which is why Iran thinks it can get away with shit like that.... It's not like there are anymore non-violent sanctions the US can impose without risk on Iran? What is the US gonna do... start murdering Iranian diplomats?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2011, 03:55:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 13, 2011, 03:44:35 AMWho the hell cares about the diplomat? It's the hundred dead civilians (high class restaurant frequented by congressmen) that would cause a conflict.

Which is why Iran thinks it can get away with shit like that.... It's not like there are anymore non-violent sanctions the US can impose without risk on Iran? What is the US gonna do... start murdering Iranian diplomats?
:huh: If Iran kills a hundred civilians in D.C. in a terrorist attack there would be war. How can you possibly dispute it?

1 Karma Chameleon point