Grim predictions say 9 more years of Texas drought possible

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2011, 12:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2011, 12:44:41 PM
Quebec is always looking for new immigrants.  No drought here.  Plenty of water.  Even in your basement.

I am prepared.  I got my son this Québec shirt for when we make the move.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2011, 02:20:47 PM
Condolences, Valmy.  Georgia went through a fairly prolonged drought which we solved by getting more rain and winning court cases against Tennessee and Alabama over water rights.

Can you fuck over Oklahoma in some fashion?

No but we will continue to fuck over Mexico and take their water.

But we were already doing that...not sure how sustainable that is.  I hear Louisiana has a surplus so maybe we can drain the Bayou.

KRonn

I wonder how long and how costly a plan it is to desalinate sea water for use? Saudis do it pretty heavily I think, and probably other nations in that region. At least that would help during times of drought. Besides, other states have water problems, like California and some neighboring states, that get much of their water from the Colorado river. Large populations, somewhat limited water. So I'd think desalination would be a good idea, but I don't know the downsides, besides cost probably.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2011, 12:44:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2011, 12:22:39 PM
They chose to live in a desert.

Well no but I might have to choose whether or not I stay in one. :(
Quebec is always looking for new immigrants.  No drought here.  Plenty of water.  Even in your basement.

J'parlez Francais muy bien.  Puedo venir a Quebec?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

Valmy can have some of the water leaking out of my water main right now. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 12:25:07 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 30, 2011, 12:22:39 PM
They chose to live in a desert.

Well no but I might have to choose whether or not I stay in one. :(

Well, actually, yeah, it is a desert.  Not by the technical definition, but the Great Plains have always been considerably drier than the east, to the extent that at one time the plains were call The Great American Desert.

Though I guess if you were born there, it wasn't exactly your choice.

Razgovory

Interestedly there used to be an old theory of climate change that could be summed up with the phrase "Rain follows the plow".  There was a belief that farming an area would cause it become wetter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2011, 12:56:10 PM
Interestedly there used to be an old theory of climate change that could be summed up with the phrase "Rain follows the plow".  There was a belief that farming an area would cause it become wetter.

Isn't that pretty much the opposite of what tends to happen?
Overfarming tends to cause desertification.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 01, 2011, 02:08:53 PM

Yes, but this theory was less controversial with the powers that be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2011, 03:57:02 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 01, 2011, 02:08:53 PM

Yes, but this theory was less controversial with the powers that be.

Ah, so it's one of those politically expedient "theories". Gotcha :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help