Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 09:32:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2011, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2011, 06:04:11 PM
after a bit more research, obviously, I'm wrong....

besides, there is only one winnipeg hockey team worth mentioning

That gold medal belongs to US!

:unsure:

What the hell are you talking about?

And clearly there is only one Winnipeg hockey team worth talking about - the multiple AVCO Cup winning Winnipeg Jets. :cool:

The 1920 Winnipeg Falcons

Firstname Firstnamesson's the bulk of them...

:contract:

Haven't I been telling you that Manitoba has the largest Icelandic population outside of Iceland for a long time? :contract:

Falcons was a popular contender for the new name of the team (though nowhere near as popular as Jets).

But if you want to go that far back, then you might as well talk about the only Winnipeg team to win the Stanley Cup - the Winnipeg Victorias.  Champions in 1896, 1901, and 1902.   :showoff:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: dps on August 18, 2011, 09:02:20 AM

Typical of most complaints that come out of Quebec anymore ...

And a typical torrent of clichés and prejudices from the neighboring country, whenever the people of this one don't pull in the same direction.

What's Canada?  A cart being pulled by 2 horses going in opposite direction.  :P

G.
The horses are going in the same direction, but there's a tiny (but very loud) fly trying the aggetate the french speaking horse :D

Psst - don't tell Grallon, Viper & co. about the Royal Canadian Mint.    ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2011, 09:57:03 AM

So long as they do not commit the ultimate insult and start putting the Queen's face on the currency I am ok with it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 09:41:55 AM
Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: dps on August 18, 2011, 09:02:20 AM

Typical of most complaints that come out of Quebec anymore ...

And a typical torrent of clichés and prejudices from the neighboring country, whenever the people of this one don't pull in the same direction.

What's Canada?  A cart being pulled by 2 horses going in opposite direction.  :P

G.
The horses are going in the same direction, but there's a tiny (but very loud) fly trying the aggetate the french speaking horse :D

hope they don't bank at the RBC either.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 09:42:01 AM

Heh like we get much better from you guys.

Valmy, the neighboring country I was referring to isn't the US - it's Canada.  :contract:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

if you're a different country stop accepting canada's money :D (ontario gets to keep being a have not casue we bow down to the one rightful queen :lol:)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 10:34:36 AM
Valmy, the neighboring country I was referring to isn't the US - it's Canada.  :contract:

Ah gotcha.  You were responding to dps so I was confused.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 11:47:47 PM
The War of 1812 is apparently, for English Canada, the foundation of their national feelings, the first time they realized they were not Americans.

For all the times I was told I didnt understand Quebec (probably correctly) pot meet kettle.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2011, 11:08:03 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2011, 11:47:47 PM
The War of 1812 is apparently, for English Canada, the foundation of their national feelings, the first time they realized they were not Americans.

For all the times I was told I didnt understand Quebec (probably correctly) pot meet kettle.
Until then we felt left out for not being invited the revolutionary fun a few decades before :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on August 18, 2011, 10:34:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 09:42:01 AM

Heh like we get much better from you guys.

G.

Your Grammar is usually quite good but in the case you have to be in a Country in order to have a neighboring country and the only country neighboring where you live is the US.

You can go on pretending it is not so.  I suppose that is harmless.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 10:02:16 AM

So long as they do not commit the ultimate insult and start putting the Queen's face on the currency I am ok with it.

I'm quite willing to be insulted - repeatedly - by recieving $20 bills from the good folks of Quebec.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

I'm quite willing to be insulted - repeatedly - by recieving $20 bills from the good folks of Quebec.  :)

I remember a conversation with a Canadian Professor of Education at a cocktail party where I tried to convince her that Canada was a Monarchy, she seemed to think it was a Republic since Canada got it's Constitution. It wasn't until I asked her what face was on her money and walked her through the Canadian constitutional system that she relented and admitted that Canada was a Monarchy, just like Norway.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

I remember a conversation with a Canadian Professor of Education at a cocktail party where I tried to convince her that Canada was a Monarchy, she seemed to think it was a Republic since Canada got it's Constitution. It wasn't until I asked her what face was on her money and walked her through the Canadian constitutional system that she relented and admitted that Canada was a Monarchy, just like Norway.

Well not exactly like Norway, since we have the Governor General as intermediary...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 11:39:35 AM

Obviously failing to receive an education I am glad this Canadian decided to study why.