News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does it take for you to get drunk?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, May 30, 2011, 11:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

One Miller Lite (Siege option)
2 (5.4%)
2-4 beers
7 (18.9%)
5-10 beers
12 (32.4%)
10+ beers
9 (24.3%)
Only hard liquor!
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

MadImmortalMan

A six pack doesn't make a dent. I'm an expensive date.   :(
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Depends on my energy level, I guess.  I've had times when I've been so fatigued I feel a noticeable effect from one medium-strength beer.  But if I'm feeling normal, 6 beers with no food consumed during that time would probably make me a bit tipsy.

I still can't get over how much I drank at our wedding reception & still managed to keep my wits about me.   I probably killed 2 bottles of champagne plus a few beers & a glass or two of red wine.  Had just enough to loosen me up to be able to sing La Bamba as I had promised/threatened, but not enough to make an ass out of myself, believe it or not.  After a solid 7 hours of sleep I felt pretty good the next day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

10 plus beers to be drunk

12 pack and 750ml of tequila to blackout and wakeup on bathroom floor next to toilet.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Agelastus

Four or Five pints will make me nicely tipsy, but it only takes another couple of pints after that to leave me completely blotto (and walking into postal boxes.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 30, 2011, 11:37:18 PM
Well?
I just finished off a whole bottle of wine, plus 1 nearly empty bottle.
That's way more than Siege can handle. ^_^
And I'm generally a lightweight or medium-weight.

I don't drink wine anymore.
I have embraced America.

Siege

Quote from: Tyr on May 31, 2011, 03:34:36 AM
Impossible with pure beer.
So much liquid for so little drunkenness, there's no way I can fit 10 beers inside in a short enough length of time.
Tipsyness...that depends. When I haven;t been drinking for a while and haven't ate one or two can do it. Other times its three or four.

You should try Miller Lite.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 10:20:27 AM
It's also interesting that for all the talk of tolerances, your body doesn't actually get more tolerant of the inebriating effects.  You just learn, both consciously and subconsciouly, various coping techniques if you're an experienced drinker.  Your perceptions and reflexes are equally impaired.

I hate to agree with the Crown, but this is pretty much true.  There is a little tolerance effect with alcohol, but nothing like the real physical tolerance you get with e.g. heroin.

I tend to be able to hold my own with booze, for better or worse. 

I decided one day a couple of years ago to switch to light beer and bought a 12-pack of Siege's favorite, Miller Lite, sat down at the table, cracked one open and started reading a novel.  After a few I decided I really loved the Lite, and after about 7 or 8 I decided I was too drunk to read and sat down to watch ESPN with my roommate.  After 10 I decided I should just finish the pack.   Then I went to sleep with my clothes on, got up, and faced the day :Embarrass:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

I don't think I could get drunk off of just beer.  I know back in college I didn't, and believe me, I drank plenty of the stuff in those days.  OTOH, "only hard liquor" isn't accurate, either, because I could definately get drunk on strong wine.

stjaba

I rarely drink, so it usually only takes me about 4 drinks to get drunk. Today, I got dragged into an after work happy hour and I definitely had too much to drink, but I sort of hard no choice as it was my first day.  :wacko:

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: stjaba on May 31, 2011, 07:33:58 PM
I rarely drink, so it usually only takes me about 4 drinks to get drunk. Today, I got dragged into an after work happy hour and I definitely had too much to drink, but I sort of hard no choice as it was my first day.  :wacko:

:hug:  Me too.  Except I only had two pints since I spent half the time talking with the DUI lawyer and I had to drive home.    :secret:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Pedrito

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 12:31:56 PM
Depends on my energy level, I guess.  I've had times when I've been so fatigued I feel a noticeable effect from one medium-strength beer.  But if I'm feeling normal, 6 beers with no food consumed during that time would probably make me a bit tipsy.
This. When I was in uni, going out to celebrate the same evening of a successful test always meant I was drunk with one or two pints.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 31, 2011, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: stjaba on May 31, 2011, 07:33:58 PM

:hug:  Me too.  Except I only had two pints since I spent half the time talking with the DUI lawyer and I had to drive home.    :secret:

Where you guys working?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2011, 04:34:24 PM
Where you guys working?

Public defender's office in Knoxville, Tenn.   :ph34r:

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 01, 2011, 04:52:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2011, 04:34:24 PM
Where you guys working?

Public defender's office in Knoxville, Tenn.   :ph34r:

:cry:

Ah well, I guess since someone has to do it, it might as well be a mime.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.